Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Central TX looking for help
    Yoshi from Sinister Sand Sports told me this would be a good place to find info on my current project, that is still in the planning stages.

So a little about me. My name is Dustin, and I'm in the Ft. Hood area of central Texas.

Now I have a 1988 Toyota MR2, that I'm wanting to swap out the factory motor and drive train for the GSX1300R. *After seeing what some of you guys have done with the sand rails I know it can be done. *If your not familier with the Toyota MR2, it is a mid engine, rear wheel drive 2 seater, with a stock curb weight of approx 2300lbs. *So right off the bat she seems like a pretty good candidate for this project. *A number of parts have already been stripped off the car and I'm sitting right around 2000lbs, and based off the numbers I'm getting for the stock drive train, I'll be cutting another 200-300lbs. Which will leave me around 1700lbs before replaceing any body parts with fiberglass. *

Well that's a bit about me and my project. *Any questions, comments, or sugguestions would be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Central TX looking for help
    Welcome.

Yah it can be done but is it really worth it? You are gonna have to gear it reallly deep for that kind of weight.

You would be likely to better off selling the MR2 and get a Fiero and do a " V8 Archie " engine swap.
    A small block Chevy into a fiero will beat the MR2 with the 1300 motor hands down and if you want you can take the Fiero and put an aluminum Cadillac Northstar in it for low weight/great handling.

I would say before you swap the motor you have out ofthe MR2 can you boost it with a supercharger or turbo?

I love a neat project but I think the end result will not perform as well as you will want it to. And the cost when done reliably will be high. I have seen a few small cars with street bike motors and the drivers think they are fast cause they sound like it. But are not always. Its simply to much weight for these motors. Even after you replace all the parts you an with fiberglass. A lot of fiberglass parts are not that much lighter. A bike motor designed for a 700 pound (thats the heavy side) bike is loosing a lot of its snap when geared for pushing a 1500 plus pound car. *Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    IMO the bursa doesn't have enough torque to be what i would want. It would be a drag race type of driving experiance... If always on the thorttle there would be good perforance but no one drives around on full throttle. In other words, it would be like putting in a 2-stroke as compared to a 4-stroke.

4. Collapse Details
    I never rode a bursa *but I agree that the busa is not the best choice.

5. Collapse Details
    Search Youtube for "hayabusa car" and see what comes up. I've seen several conversions there but not an MR2. My car weighs 1500 and I would not want it to weigh any more, although I've seen pics of a race ready Busa powered off-roader that weighs 1800.

How about an old Suburu 360? Those were 2 stroke (I think) front engine micro cars. That would make for a crazy tire burner.

6. Collapse Details
    Just pick a better engine, look into the honda motors....Hell throw a goldwing in her...

7. Collapse Details
    I had a idea like this awhile back for one of the original Mini Coopers because I knew of one with a blown engine. *My idea was to use 2 600cc or 1000cc engines and make it dual engine/all wheel drive.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by standfast\";p=\"63337
    I had a idea like this awhile back for one of the original Mini Coopers because I knew of one with a blown engine. *My idea was to use 2 600cc or 1000cc engines and make it dual engine/all wheel drive.
    somthing like this? *[url=http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/conversion.htm:2aaqpv84]z cars[/url:2aaqpv84]
    Stuart

9. Collapse Details
    I understand what you all are saying, but heres my point in doing the swap, and why I don't think it will be a total loss.

1. I just think its a cool idea and want to see if I can do it and make it work.

2. The stock 4AGE motor in the MR2 puts out 112hp at the crank, the torque is right around 100.(I think it was 105 at the crank at best) All the dyno runs I have seen on the MKI MR2 have netted a max of 95whp and approx. 90ft/lb. *Now every thing I have seen on the busa says that they put between 175-180 at the sprocket/output shaft, which ends up being around 135-140 whp. I don't remember what the torque was at the motor but I know they are getting around 99-101 ft/lbs at the wheels. So I can't really see where I would be going wrong. *Not to mention that the MR2 redlines at 8000rpm stock and there are aftermarket cranks that can take them as high as 12000rpm. *So again not much diff than the busa. The busa redlines between 10,500 and 10,900 right? *

3. Parts for the busa are a thousand times easier to find. MR2 parts almost always have to be custom ordered. So even considering I'll have to have at least some custom made parts, performance upgrades are everywhere for the busa.

Oh yeah I almost forgot...most of you guys are running between 27"-37" paddle tires right? *Much harder to turn than the largest tire I could ever try and cram under my MR2. Less rotational mass tires spin easier and faster. Right?

Thanks for the comments and sugguestions.

10. Collapse Details
    I would seriously look into a goldwing engine if I were you, they don't have the raw power of the busa but they have much better torque. *I've seen a datsun 510 with a goldwing GL1500 engine in it and the thing was pretty fast, of course the one across town with the turbo 300ZX engine in it is faster.
    Stuart

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast