Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Greetings to all you fellow buggy and fabricating enthusiasts
    I'd like to start these new relationships with a loaded and yes subjective question. I'll start by prefacing that I am an experienced fabricator, welder, and mechanic. Too a lesser extent a shade tree machinist.

I'm sure like many new to the world of buggies that wading through all the build options can seem overwhelming. I think I would Iike to approach my selection from the possibility that racing is the ultimate goal. So here I go:

A) stable at speed.
    B) stable in cornering
    C) sufficient suspension travel in cornering and jumps
    D) sufficient rigidity
    E) requires the least amount modification to reach the afore mentioned needs

Also, in your opinion any requirements you feel I've not addressed. Companies I've looked at include :

Badland, protodie, edge, and Rorty.

Thank you in advance,
    Harry

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Greetings to all you fellow buggy and fabricating enthusiasts
    Welcome!

Where are you from? Out of all the above mentioned designs, Rorty is pretty well set up for an entry level car to race class 10. I would definitely suggest running an automotive style engine as the R-16 is fairly heavy.

Edge and Prorodie are awesome ideas for a a prolite series car, however here is the USA there isn't any classes that I know of to race them. SUPER fast cars.
    Badland IMO has a less that stellar design in regards to the suspension mounts and its cage design. That is based on past builds on this site.

The AR51 would be another awesome idea. This is a biased answer as I built one myself. It is a very refined Edge piranha with a little hint of the barracuda chassis. Very simple to adjust the chain and I think it has a lot better suspension geometry. I'm here to tell you, the car is Stupid fast, extremely nimble in the terrain that i have put it through. It jumps amazing, corners awesome and is just a comfortable car! The only modifications made to mine was using coil over shocks, a suspension seat and that's about it. I have since cut it in half and completely re built the back of the chassis to add bypass shocks and a Hayabusa engine.

I hope this gives a little glimpse into the fun you are about to have.
    Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Justine, I'm in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. I'm an old guy in my early 50s so no spring chicken. That Hayabusa mod sounds like fun! You are correct about the racing, at least as far as I have found. I've been trying to find a recreational outlet or a motocross practice areas..so far nothing. I think building a buggy with nowhere to run it may be foolish. I hope that will not be the case. I will take a hard look at the AR51...thanks again!

4. Collapse Details
    Here is my AR51 as of last summer

And it it's current state. HAAA
    Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    What's the plan? I see the old cage upper on the floor there. Are you racing and/or fun? What are the areas you can run? Are these designated off road areas?

6. Collapse Details
    Welcome...

Below is a couple sites that I have used in the past to find places to ride or do tuning when I first got started. You can search by state, so if travel is not a big issue you should be able to find somewhere that will fit your needs. (OH,PA, WV, MD, NY)

http://www.racingin.com, https://www.riderplanet-usa.com

Going off memory... there was a short course track north of you called "rolling "w" ranch" that had racing. And a place roughly 40 miles inside the OH line off SR 70 called "Powerline Park" that might work for a tuning area (The name kind of says it all).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Frank; 02-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsrudder View Post
    What's the plan? I see the old cage upper on the floor there. Are you racing and/or fun? What are the areas you can run? Are these designated off road areas?
    The upper cage will get a little work done too. Kinda what you see in white PVC tube is going to be the overall shape of the roof line. The old cage is literally under my deck right now. HAA I use this for fun, a lot of fun. We have a lot of trails here in Michigan where I can ride. Silver Lake Sand dunes are 1 hour north of me and that is my primary spot to go. I have some dirt tires that I use while on the trails. The trails are really wide snowmobile trails. Kinda like a wide 2-track road.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    I really appreciate the help. About engine selection..other than buggy lbs. what are the advantages or disadvantage of a cycle and say an ecotec? I assume the ecotec has a better low end and torque?

9. Collapse Details
    Hey Justin, I'm in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. I'm an old guy in my early 50s so no spring chicken. You are correct about the racing, at least as far as I have found. I've been trying to find a recreational outlet or a motocross practice areas..so far nothing. I think building a buggy with nowhere to run it may be foolish. I hope that will not be the case. I will take a hard look at the AR51...thanks again!
    My name is also Justin and I also live in Pittsburgh. Welcome to the site. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of good legal places to ride in the area. Not sure which side of town you are on but Mines and Meadows is probably the closest pay to ride park. Rock Run is a bit further away, along with a park in Somerset and some in south eastern Ohio. Most people around here ride ATVs and dirt bikes on random illegal trails near home; some areas get enforced while others don't seem to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Below is a couple sites that I have used in the past to find places to ride or do tuning when I first got started. You can search by state, so if travel is not a big issue you should be able to find somewhere that will fit your needs. (OH,PA, WV, MD, NY)

http://www.racingin.com, https://www.riderplanet-usa.com

Going off memory... there was a short course track north of you called "rolling "w" ranch" that had racing. And a place roughly 40 miles inside the OH line off SR 70 called "Powerline Park" that might work for a tuning area (The name kind of says it all).
    I used to race my buggy at Rolling W Ranch. They still have races there, but the Stadium Lite class I used to race with (mini buggies, Honda Pilots and Odysseys) seems to have been replaced by UTV's now. They still run classes for VW based woods buggies and full size race buggies. http://www.rollingwranch.net/

I'm currently trying to sell my buggy, in case you want to try out the buggy life without having to start from scratch, or want to get a second one for a friend...
    2004 Mini Buggy / Stadium Lite / Former Baja SAE car
    Or if you want to just meet up to see mine and talk buggies for a while, let me know.
    Last edited by minibajaman; 02-08-2019 at 06:46 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I really appreciate the help. About engine selection..other than buggy lbs. what are the advantages or disadvantage of a cycle and say an ecotec? I assume the ecotec has a better low end and torque?
    Bike power pros - relatively light, has a trans (no reverse) great power to weight ratio, can be made into a monster fairly easily.
    Bike power cons - no reverse, chain drives tend to require large rear sprocket (loss of ground clearance), chains suffer from heat issues.
    Ecotec pros - great torque, easily built up, inexpensive.
    Ecotech cons - heavy, needs a trans (more weight), large relative to bike power plant - will fit in Rorty R16 easily
    Consider a sled engine too. Can be made to have loads of power, light, compact, uses a CVT drive (no shifting). Easily adaptable to a UTV trans which has hi, low, reverse, neutral and park (I’m using an RZR drive train).

You can stick an RPM f-n-r (forward-neutral-reverse) box behind any of these power plant options too. It will be a CVT setup behind a sled or Ecotec or chain driven behind a bike. Just make sure you have the proper internal gearing - 9:1 for sled, 8:1 for Ecotec, 5ish:1 for bike.

Gearing suggested is for 33” tires and completely selectable for the application depending on tire size and intended use. We gear for more top end out here in the west where there’s more wide open running as opposed to back east in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast