1. Collapse Details
    Another new guy from Minnesota
    How's it going? I'm Aaron and I'm just getting into buggies. Never built anything like this, not even a go kart, but I do have a couple years experience for welding, schooling, professionally, and hobby at home. Type of buggy I'm going to want to build is one that I can use to get to my tree stand for hunting and use it to pull a two man portable fish house out on the lake. Only looking at building a single seater with a 200-300cc engine, small enough to fit in the bed of a truck, but wide enough to it doesn't roll easily. Going to be building the main frame out of square/rectangular tube steel 14ga or so thick and make the roll cage out of round, maybe DOM tubing, haven't quite decided on that.

Been lurking on here for maybe a year on and off. Really liked Dave's (Daaboots?) Micro Burst and Trax II builds and those gave me the inspiration to want to build mine. Hope to learn a lot more on here, so I can get started soon.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Another new guy from Minnesota
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Welcome to the party!

3. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Welcome to MiniBuggy .. Great another buggy maniac from Minnesota.Where bout ya local in MN ?
    200 to 300 might be on the small side at least for pulling your Ice Castle out LOL
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

4. Collapse Details
    Prior Lake. Wouldn't use it to pull the ice castle, just use it to drive out to it

5. Collapse Details
    What I meant by portable was the small fold up ones that sit in their own plastic sled that weigh maybe 100lbs. That is what I'd be pulling, a Frabill Bro series 2 man fish house. My larger one I'm pulling with a truck.

6. Collapse Details
    Are you thinking of a small motorcycle engine for your buggy?

7. Collapse Details
    3 wheeler, 4 wheeler or air cooled snowmobile engine. May skip the latter because they don't do well in anything above 40F, and I'd like to use it in the spring and summer. Could run water cooled and it isn't out of the question. Shifting may also be an option, long as it's one that doesn't require a clutch, guess some ATVs were like this and didn't realize it until Daaboots mentioned it to me in my, Engine Recommendation thread I started.

Motorcycle engines to me don't make much sense for a woods buggy, because they require higher engine rpm and clutching, however I was planning on trying to run close to a 6:1 to 7:1 ratio, for added torque and less speed. Trying to stay about 40-45mph. Reliable reverse is a must have for the woods. So I was thinking grabbing a FNR gearbox from an ATV, to accomplish that.

Loosely basing it off the Edge Sidewinder, at least body wise, but have the engine and gearbox mounted inline rather than off to the side, so I can run independent rear suspension. Frame will be made from 14ga 1.25x1 rectangular tubing with 1"x14ga round for the roll cage. Weight by itself shooting for 600lbs roughly.

8. Collapse Details
    Theoretically, Minnesota should have plenty of liquid-cooled snowmobiles. Finding a good, cheap snowmobile to use as an engine donor would be a good option.

9. Collapse Details
    May have to go up north around Brainerd, MN for those. Lot of the ones for sale by me are still air cooled early 2000s models.