1. Collapse Details
    Hi from central PA
    I've been looking at this forum for over a year and thinking of building a buggy for my granddaughters, (and myself) who are both still very young. So I have a while to get it done. A few questions though. Is it possible to build a buggy such as a Barracuda, which I think looks awesome, and use parts from an automobile such as spindles,rotors,calipers? This way parts would be readily available locally. Also I don't completely understand the driveline components. A simple explaination of the components would be greatly appreciated. Lastly any suggestions on what type of buggy for a first timer to build that could pull double duty for grandpa and the grandkids.I'm leaning towards a two seater. This would be mostly ridden on trails, not much sand here in PA. Thanks very much.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Hi from central PA
    Look Up Rick S on the forums. He uses a Dodge Intrepid setup and he also a wealth of knowledge. I was formally from Central Pa. Relotaced to the ATL in 96.
    CRASH!!! GAME OVER!!!!!
    INSERT COIN!!!!!

http://www.jdmpooldesign.com

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome to minibuggy.net! I'll be moving to State College in three weeks, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. We used Intrepid hubs with some microstub axles and 930 cvs. Our front rotors were from an mx-5 miata, although they are kind of overkill for a buggy. There is a thread here with off-the-shelf solutions for buggy building, but I can't remember where it is. Hopefully someone will point you to it.

4. Collapse Details
    Drive line components depend in part on what you use to power the car. The posts above mention Intrepid and Miata components so I'll focus on other things.

If using a snowmobile engine it will come with a CVT system you may be able to use as-is or you may need a more substantial Forward Nuetral Reverse (FNR) box like one made by Stak4X4 or Dan Roberto's RPM box. Other guys can provide some details about the CVT and those that use one seem to like them.

Motorcycle engine powered cars more typically use a chain. The ideal sprocket carrieer assembly does not rely on rollers or idler sprockets for tension. Instead they rely on carrier rotation.

The rear sprocket assembly is usually referred to as a center carrier. It is a metal tube 3 or 4 inches in diameter and perhaps 6 to 8 inches long. It is thick enough to allow turning the inside diameter on a lathe to accept a bearing. Through the bearing a metal shaft is inserted and to this are attached CV cups. A sprocket may be attached to the backside of the CV or to a metal carrier that is attached to the CV. Proto Die has a carrier assembly for sale at his web site so take a look there to see what it looks like.

The CV cups allow the attachment of CV joints. Blind Chicken Racing has some good information about various types of CV's. CV cups are also used at the wheel assembly and that has a beraing carrier too. A splined axle slips into both CV's and has the ability to move or slide back and forth in the CV as the rear suspension moves up and down. If the rear suspension is not designed correctly the axle will slip out of the CV so design and axle measurement is important.

That's a basic word description. If I had pics on the computer I'd post them.
    Last edited by Gene; 07-27-2011 at 10:29 AM.