1. Collapse Details
    Kawasaki 700 - Driveline questions
    Hello. I have just found this forum and I have to say after reading through it I like... I have a 700cc Kawasaki Engine that I want to use as a power plant. I want to do Independent A-Arm Suspension on all 4 corners. I am only 26 and do not have the experience that our "ELDERS" do... I checked out sinistersandsports.com, and I have to say I love that setup. Yoshi you rock man. I am however under a serious budget. I paid $450 for the Kawasaki KZ 700...I still need everything else. The benefit is that I can use the engine and brakes off the bike...I am trying to figure out how to do a Chain Differential with cv's. I have been researching for over a year on how to make one of these, and because I am not very knowledgable in this matter, nothing I have found helps. I found some for $850 - $5,000, way outta budget for myself. I was wondering If one of the amazing "ELDERS" would like to lend me a hand in designing, or doing a how to, on a chain diff. Yoshi your diff is the best I have seen so far. I Like how it has the drive sprocket, middle brakes, and what appears to be reverse. That is sweet man! I wish I had your knowledge! I am going to try and use the s-10 Differential that I have. If that isn't a good idea please let me know. Thank you all so Much for any responses! I appreciate any and all Help!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Just an old fart from Florence Oregon
    Loonatic welcome to the site. Instead of taking this thread off topic you ought to start a new one in the driveline area.

There are several ways to make a budget spool. With the cheaper cost you usually loose a lil of the cool looks of Yoshis work and add a bit of weight but sometimes the budget is king on a build.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    I went the route of the Honda transmission. I used one out of a civic/del sol. It's a manual, 5 speed which has the diff inside it. I think I paid about $100 off ebay, shipped to my door. I run my gsxr 600 straight to the input shaft on the tranny.

To attach my sprocket to it, I used the splined center off the clutch (cut it all away), and welded it to a 1 1/4"shaft that I have double supported via shifter cart bearings on both sides of the sprocket.

I also got the CV's from this car, cut it all away, then welded the VW tranny hub to it so I could bolt on the CV's. Locks right in place.

The nice thing about this tranny, is it has the diff, and a reverse. I usually run it in 5th gear, but I can drop it into 1st and it's a nice little rock crawler. The thing is you can't shift this tranny when it's udner load. So I have to shift the gsxr engine into N before I shift this. Kind of a pain, but no big deal.

Pretty simple ans inexpensive way of doing it. Not as clean or nice as an RPM box, but not many of us have that kind of $$. I've got a few hundred miles on this setup and it works awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by loonatik503 View Post
    Hello. I have just found this forum and I have to say after reading through it I like... I have a 700cc Kawasaki Engine that I want to use as a power plant. I want to do Independent A-Arm Suspension on all 4 corners. I am only 26 and do not have the experience that our "ELDERS" do... I checked out sinistersandsports.com, and I have to say I love that setup. Yoshi you rock man. I am however under a serious budget. I paid $450 for the Kawasaki KZ 700...I still need everything else. The benefit is that I can use the engine and brakes off the bike...I am trying to figure out how to do a Chain Differential with cv's. I have been researching for over a year on how to make one of these, and because I am not very knowledgable in this matter, nothing I have found helps. I found some for $850 - $5,000, way outta budget for myself. I was wondering If one of the amazing "ELDERS" would like to lend me a hand in designing, or doing a how to, on a chain diff. Yoshi your diff is the best I have seen so far. I Like how it has the drive sprocket, middle brakes, and what appears to be reverse. That is sweet man! I wish I had your knowledge! I am going to try and use the s-10 Differential that I have. If that isn't a good idea please let me know. Thank you all so Much for any responses! I appreciate any and all Help!

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry Ill repost in the drive line area...unless it can get moved.
    Thank you for the replies. I like the tranny idea for the reverse, just not the dual shifters....I have no idea what I want to do...

5. Collapse Details
    Re: Kawasaki 700 - Driveline questions
    Ralberg....Damn man, no wonder why you use fifth! That rear sprocket is huge! What size rear tires? Sorry to highjack...Loon get after it!! Rahlberg how 'bout your build log?