Thread: The Wife Wagon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Wife Wagon
    So I'm a massive hypocrite apparently. I've had a dilemma for quite a while. I needed a vehicle that met a wide range of requirements. I needed something that had a minimum of 3 seats for trips that require we tow our trailer to, fits in our toy hauler, CVT (watching my wife try to drive a manual trans is like watching Stevie Wonder paint), easy to maintain/prep, dealer support, warranty, solid bolt on aftermarket suppliers (tired of making/building shit), and stone cold reliable. I thought long and hard on what to build or buy. What a RZR costs buys a lot these days in the one off vehicle world since the UTV market has crushed resale value on almost everything other than race cars. At first I was thinking of building or buying a badass Bronco. Well, how do I transport it? Obviously a flatbed trailer. If I'm towing a flatbed trailer, where do we sleep? Going from the convenience, comfort, and accouterments of a Toy Hauler to a tent is NOT going to fly with the family. Sell the hauler and buy a motorhome? a 10K towing capacity is going to put me in Diesel Class A territory. Way too much money. So a Bronco was out. Maybe a smaller 4 seat buggy. I'll need a bigger hauler, I'll need to step up to a diesel truck, and I REALLY don't want to deal with the prep and cost. We've had bad preps run over 20K on the two big 4 seaters I've been involved with. Dammit, the RZR is making too much sense. It fits all of these requirements. But they're almost 30K out the door and the used market is pretty shallow and almost as much as dealer prices. Then it hits me, my neighbor owns the largest Powersports dealership in Orange County. Now the damn RZR is making even more sense. So, I foolishly decide to call my neighbor to get me a price. He calls me back, gives me the price (many many thousands of dollars cheaper than what I was thinking), and I tell him to tag me on one. Here we go. So I start to recycle toys with the goal being to not touch the bank account with this purchase. Single Seater goes up for sale. My good friend buys it (super stoked on that since it will be staying in the "family"). Post my Biplane airframe for sale. Sold in 5 days. Post the RPM for the single seater. It sells in 10 minutes on FB. Sell a decent amount of other crap on CL. My gun safe starts to look like I deal drugs for a living. A bunch of "Evil" liberal hated guns and stacks of cash. Saturday comes around and we head over to the dealership. 30 minutes later I own a vehicle I can put on a trailer, drive out to the desert, play with, and it has a 54 month bumper to bumper warranty. Other than dirtbikes and quads, I've never had this convenience and I STILL can't believe I bought a stupid UTV.

So here she is in all her UTV glory. 2016 RZR4 XP1000 in Matte Titanium. No I didn't shell out the 5.2K for the turbo. I don't need or want anything that fast FOR THE WIFE. This is the cruiser vehicle. I will have my two seater to go fast in.

The wife wouldn't let me leave it at the dealership so now my garage is packed and the prep on the single seater is at a standstill.

Other than making it safe, the goal is to leave this thing mostly stock. Plans are:

1) Cagewrx.com "Super Shorty" cage and roof. For $500 more than it would cost to make one myself it makes total sense. Chad Ragland makes a really nice product. Bolt together cages scare me and I hate the fact it is 38' tall.

2) Lower doors. Amazon to the rescue. $154 shipped for a UTVGiant lower door kit

3) Car seat mount. I want my son in his carseat still

4) 4 Point harnesses. No explanation needed

5) Spare tire and mount

6) Cooler mount

7) Seats. Not sure yet. The stock seats/seat mounts are pretty flimsy. I'd also like seat heaters

8) Windshield. Need to keep the family comfy

9) 15" wheels and BFG 30" KR2s. I'll do that once these tires are dead

10) Some sort of cheapy LED light bar

I still can't believe I bought this damn thing. I'm also fortunate in the fact that my wife hasn't done the "well why didn't you just do this instead of the two seater" thing...
    Last edited by flyerrider; 01-18-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

2. Collapse Details
    Re: The Wife Wagon
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    BAHAHAHA The Fam that plays together stays together LOL
    Good lookin new golf cart ( Just kiddin man) I mean Wife Wagon
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

3. Collapse Details
    Impressive to "yard sale" that much stuff in a few days and cash out on a big purchase.
    Totally un-American to pay cash these days.
    Good to hear the Lancair did not go.
    Side X sides are the reason that home built sand cars are almost a thing of the past, plus they are decent rock crawlers for places like Moab, Utah.
    The only negative is they roll way too easy (the cost of plastic) in comparison to a sand car in the hands of the inexperienced.
    Good decision for the family

4. Collapse Details
    Sweet minivan Bro!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah everything went pretty quick. I priced everything on the low side. I had tons of low ballers but I was quick to shut them down. I was nice to some and not nice to others. The standard response was to go find something cheaper. That usually ended the low ball offers. I did sell the buggy to my friend for cheaper than listed mostly because I want to keep it close and still be involved with it. Technically I haven't paid for the RZR yet. Financing it (with 5K down) saved me almost $1100 over a cash deal (my neighbor passed on the dealer finance profit to me). I have to wait 60 days to pay it off. Fortunately I have all but 2.2K to pay it off. I'll have that once I sell my stand up ski and some fish tank stuff. Plus, the maintenance for the fleet of toys just shrunk massively. That means more free time to play with my family.

The Lancair needs to stay unfortunately. While I'm pretty tired of all the maintenance and cost, it really is a fantastic convenience and we use it a lot for work. My partner would never sell out of it either. I'm pretty much married to it.

Bull and Rat: HAHA!!! I know I know. EVERYONE we've talked to was shocked I bought one. I still am too...

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

6. Collapse Details
    Sweet ride... Congrats! And your rationale makes complete sense to me. And not that it matters, but That is my favorite color combo on those.

So... Who's next? Bull?

7. Collapse Details
    Lol! I told fly I was going to sell the Briggs to buy SxS's,......and he yelled at me!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You will enjoy it.
    I've enjoyed just under 5k miles in mine and 2.8k in Robyn's. Minimal issues and as long as the person behind the wheel doesn't drive like an idiot, they're darned durable.

Get on rzrforums.com - tons of info there.

Utvinc is a good parts source.
    Look at PRP seats or pm fns about seats. Heaters are an easy addition

9. Collapse Details
    I actually don't mind the seats. They are pretty comfortable and I like the color scheme. From what I can tell, the bases are what causes the majority of the flex. I have a 3/16 order going out for the two seater so I'll probably draw something up to replace the plastic bases. I'm not spending $120 per seat for aluminum seat brackets. Now that the stress of getting the two seater in the dirt has evaporated, I'm cutting the roof off in the next few weeks.

10. Collapse Details
    put a fire ext. on your list ...for both your rides ... cheap insurance ...
    otherwise congrats, that thing better not run faster than yours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast