Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2 seat Tut-tech chassis build Texas
    So as some of you know lilchubby sold his 2 seat tut tech build. I ended up with it and it only felt natural that I continue to keep everyone in the loop. This is my first post on this forum but it won't be the last. I've been pretty active in other forums such as lightning rodder and a few of the mustang boards but lost interest because my roots are in dirt rather than asphalt. I grew up racing XC MX and AX, did some stuntin' for a minute on sport bikes, now into supermoto. While dove hunting this past year my buddy brought out his tricked out can am and talked me into buying one, so the following Monday I set out to find the right one. Google, being the nosy bitch that she is, retrieved a picture of the infamous tut tech car that Tut originally built for himself while searching for my new can am. I was instantly aroused, game over. ... why would I drop 20k on an under-achieving truck and then spend more money to get it to perform how "i" would like it to. Don't get me wrong, the can am in stock form is a beautiful machine but if you guys are anything like me I can't leave anything like it came from the factory. I had to get my hands on not just a tut tech but specifically the 2 seater. My heart sank when I realized that I was a little late to that party and tut was no longer producing chassis. Never just accepting the situation I fired off an email to Tut hoping that I could some how convince him to do me this favor, long story short the man is aces but there was no way that was going to happen.

On a side note Tut is one of the coolest guys I have never met, it felt great that even in his current sebatical he took the time out to encourage me to just give building my own a shot with the knowledge of fabrication that I have. That right there folks is why I love the dirt community, the people.

Back to my search. The closest (only) one I found was the one Lil chubby was selling but Colorado was way to far. I had almost given up after months of searching and had put the search on hold. While scouring Craigslist the other day for a VW bug the Tut tech chassis showed up locally. I almost dismissed the pic on CL because I had seen so many pics of the chassis through a Google search. .. I did a double take and it was just meant to be. Met up with Lil chubby this morning and the chassis is on my trailer in the drive now. I'm sure you have seen other pics of it but I like to see pics when I'm reading others posts so here are 2 not so great pics. I have promised Lil chubby update pics and a ride when done so I'm counting on you guys to push me through this.

Since Lil chubby started this build I picked the user name Fatcobra as an homage, just seemed appropriate. Looking forward to some feedback and any advice you guys can throw my way. Enjoi

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 2 seat Tut-tech chassis build Texas
    Already I know I'm doing a different wheel and tire combo, new coil overs, and probably swapping out the 954 for a spare Busa motor I have. Also, I have every intention of putting this on the street as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Congratulations on your new project.

I finished my tut-tech buggy a year ago, and thought really hard about building another one.

I was a fun project and the whole family enjoyed helping.

I am just up the road from you north of Denton in Sanger.

Come check it out if you like.

Project X

4. Collapse Details
    Glad to see this project keep going! Looking forward to more project updates.

5. Collapse Details
    Welcome Fat C!

I'm a big fan of Tuts work, cool to see it continue on here.

I wish It was mine!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    I wish It was mine!
    buggy whore...

Welcome to the madness!

Major congrats on snagging a Tut chassis. His stuff is incredibly well done. It'll be fun to see this one move forth.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting it going also.

@project x... I'll have to come by and check out your build. My son has got a fire under my ass so I guess I'll need to get going on it.

Side note since my last post: Yesterday my sister in law, neice, and a neighbor girl were riding my son's Rzr clone at my dad's ranch and rolled it pretty good. I was lying on the shop floor under my truck and heard the roll. Dad and I ran out to the field to find one of the girls under the utv and my sister in law and neice completely ejected. The utv rolled 4 times. The harness tabs completely ripped from the cage, cage flattened, etc... long story short I transported the girls to the hospital in Decatur since the last time we had an ambulance out there it took them 45 min to arrive. Boarded them on scrap plywood with duct tape (I used to be a fire medic)... Kids turned out to be OK but sister in law had to be flown to FTW trauma center with 6 broken ribs, punctured lung, lacerated liver, and a pneumothorax. Just came back from JPS and everything is stable and she is doing better. I am so damn proud of my son (6 years old), he also witnessed it and ran over to the scene super collected and ready to help. He helped calm the 4 and 5 year old involved, held c-spine, and got one of them boarded correctly without hesitation.

I don't have pics of the utv yet but I will be cutting 99%of that cheap Chinese steel off and building a full reinforced cage. The thing looks pretty much totaled and it probably has 3 hrs on it. I'm thankful that it wasn't worse but I will never put any of my kids in anything that doesn't have a reinforced cage. We ride hard and better safe than sorry.

What are you guys thoughts on this size chassis and the 954 motor that came with it? I am leaning Busa but if the 954 won't have a problem pushing it then why spend the Xtra money. ..

8. Collapse Details
    Wow, sorry to hear about the accident. Been involved in a few myself, but luckily have always been able to hobble away.

954 motor would probably be fine. I raced a gsxr 1000 car last year against my busa (nearly identical setups), was a dead heat in a drag, but I can use the entire rpm range for duning. The liter motors are a little more sensitive to being on the pipe, so to speak.

I usually dune around 5k, and the busa is right in the sweet spot for torque without stringing it out. More power is only a downshift away.

Another thing I noticed with the busa is how linear the power is. Anything below 3 k doesn't have any torque, but anything above 3 seems to pull the same. There is a little more torque between 5 and 7k, but overall it is close. It almost makes it hard to tell where redline is.

When I had my 750 powered car, you could tell the rpm just by how the car responded to throttle. It wasn't until 10k before you got the real surge, and anything below 7k was too low to pull dunes.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

9. Collapse Details
    @plkracer... that is the spot on info that I was looking for. I feel more comfortable with the setup previously chosen for the car now. Maybe use the Busa for a smart car or something. We have had a rash of Busas come through crashed toys here in Dallas, most of which can be picked up for less than $1k. That place is a hot spot for rebuildable track and hoon bikes. Most people want the Harleys, not my style. ..thanks for the info
    "the bird is equal to or greater than the word"

10. Collapse Details
    Congrats Fatcobra, Tuts cars a one of my personal favorites. If you get the chance, for sure head over to Project X and see his ride (and awesome shop). He's a great dude and has helped me a lot. If you do go let me know and I'll swing by as well, I'm not far from you in Highland Village..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast