Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mini Lite's: Race Car
    Here is where i am at currently

I have wanted to build a mini single seat buggy for racing for awhile now.
    As I build this I will set up to build 2 versions. My version little bigger more wheel base and set up with extra bracing for the desert.
    2nd version a more true stadium or short course car. Much smaller wheel base shorter motor and cab and lighter/smaller over all. So stay tuned for more info on both versions.

So with my 2 seat a arm frame design completed and with me being happy with that design I set out to copy that style into a much smaller motorcycle powered single seater.

I looked over the specs put out by a lot of people, race organizations, and especially the info on minibuggy.net and took all the info I could and then took what I know and enjoy working with and now have 3 note books full of info and drawings of designs.
    So with that and with my own ideas, ease of building in my own shop, cost of over all fabrication of parts needed and all kinds of other factors I set out and built my mini single seat frame based off my two seat frame.

I have set up a fixture table to build the two versions of this frame. The desert and the Stadium short course car.
    The first #1 my frame shown here. It is larger and has a 6 inch larger motor compartment for a bigger engine etc. 4 inch bigger cab and will be built for desert racing with the ability to hit the pro motorcycle powered class at places like Glen Hellen or Parris etc. It will have larger everything including wheel base, motor, tires, well everything bigger.

The other version #2 is going to be smaller for stadium or short course racing and will have a 4 inch smaller cab and 6 inch smaller motor compartment for running a smaller motor, cvt and parts. It will be a more true stadium built buggy.
    As you don't really see stadium courses anymore you really only see short courses around here built big enough for actual big cars to race on you don't need the small version of cars you used to need to fit on motorcycle courses. Buggies used to run on Bike tracks. Now bikes and mini buggies now race on full size courses. So you don't have to be as small as you used to back in the day.

The frames will not be much different in Looks but the parts and motor etc. will be the biggest changes. The smaller frame and changes from desert to stadium style will save you approx. 23 pounds just in the frame already though just to give you an idea of size.

Basically I took the style and shape of my new 2 seat a arm car I just built and made it into a very small single seater.

But a couple things had to be built into this frame. 1 it had to pass rules for racing in the local organizations I race with. So they all use the SCORE rule book and 1.5 inch tubing is the only size they allow. So I needed to design it small enough but yet use 1.5 tubing. As I have watched Protodie build several cars in this size and asking him for info I was able to build my frame to pass SCORE rules.
    (More X bracing and gussets still to follow this is just the main structure at this time)

2 it had to fit in the size restrictions for a "Mini Buggy" as posted by everyone on this site and most organizations that race mini buggies so I could race it at and against other minis. Not just at the track but also with the organizations I already race with.

So I thought a lot on it, took notes talked to people and built my frame to be 9 feet total front to back with an approx. 90 to 95 inch wheelbase. That should work out well for what I want. I can build it shorter both in size by half a foot and have a wheel base 85-90 then. Or I can also build it 6 inches longer and go 100 inch wheel base easy.

I plan on racing it in a pro or open class so suspension is open and motorcycle engine will be around the 1,000cc range. It will need it as this will be a little bit heavier car. Safe but heavier.
    I am using a front single bulk head for the front part of my A-arms to connect to and the rear part of the a-arm will mount to my main cage support bars. I have played around and done some mock up work and am about ready to get started making some well more mock up arms but some that can actually hold up the car. They lay to the back a couple inches from the bulkhead to allow the a-arm to almost swing back with the rake I built into the front end to help the ride. Should work well.
    I am hoping to see about 14 to maybe 16 inches of travel and be about 72 to 76 inches wide. I can be as wide as I want for where I race but for short course I don't want to get to crazy.

The rear is going to be swing arms. Simple, easy to set up and adjust plus plenty strong. Also I am going to run the same bearing carriers and parts as my 2 seat car I just built so it can be both a pre runner, chase and well donor car should the need arrise.

Back I am hoping for the same as front 14 inches of wheel travel... maybe 16.. the 16 is yet to actually work.. but will see. 14 seems reasonable at the 72 inch wide range, tire size and a narrow center drive sprocket with 930 cvs should help get that. I will run coil overs and a small bypass just to have the ability to make on the spot adjustments at a track and actually during a race even if I want to change how the car handles for each track I race on.

Here it is next to the 2 seater
    and side shot showing the 3 foot shorter size and no I did not slide the frame back from the first pick. It is just that much shorter.

it without the photoshop body.

another angle

Something I did why I built this was set up its own fixture table.
    I made this table slide into the bigger table so the two tables fit together.
    Then the single seater sets into the new table and you build it to fit it.
    Here is a pic

here it is without the closed in body bars. Just open like my dual sport car is. It can be left open but I wanted to close it in like desert cars do and other cars do too.

You can see it clamps into the 2 seat table and has adjustable heigth mid rails. Nice.
    Also when I want to pull the car off the table the side mid rail fixtures you just pull a pin and they drop down and out of the way.

I also played around with some different bumper ideas

and the finished frame

Thanks for looking more info will be added as I get to it.
    Last edited by TutTech; 04-20-2011 at 08:28 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini A-arm Single Seat Race Buggy
    I need to finish my single seater, been hanging from the ceiling for over a year now, lol....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    Dang that looks sweet Yoshi!
    Man to bad you cant get to it an finish it.

Looks cool.

4. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Tut,
    looking good, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Dimensions look good for short course racing, but I would try not to exceed 72" wide outside of the tires.
    This can always be fixed with different offset wheels though.

I would love to see more of cars built this size to expand mini buggy racing.

Our goal / "box" size for racing is 72" wide x 120" long and what you are building should fit right in

do the lights ever turn off in your shop?

5. Collapse Details
    any idea what you're using for an engine? Tires? You're other buggy looks sick, im jelous!

6. Collapse Details
    Tut,we have been waiting for this,let the build begin,,,lol

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    that is badass tut, I am totally into this build, I can't wait to see how this ends up, makes me want to get back into my build.

9. Collapse Details
    Looks good Tut.

10. Collapse Details
    Wow, you do keep yourself busy

Keen to see this progress!

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast