Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini A-arm Single Seat Race Buggy
    Those are the standard rear plates I and many people use. there are several types you can get from places like Kartek, Pacific customs I believe and maybe other stores.. then shops can make some or have some too I bet for sale.
    These are the Dominators.. they are not the smallest but have the most choices as far as allowing for options already built into them.

It comes pre drilled with bolt patterns for many different popular bearing carriers.. like micro stubs etc. So I can upgrade without changing my arm to several different size, axles, bearings, brakes and kits made by many different companies.
    It also comes with a circle cut groove so you can weld on a bearing and cv round carrier protector if you like also. As it is a bit heavy I don't use them on the little cars.

The plates are pre shaped with the ears for brake calipers to bolt directly onto them and threaded for almost any manufactures 4 piston or even some 6 piston rear brake calipers like pro ams, wilwood, cnc etc.

These are the most common brake kits I use here
    Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, PRO-AM MICRO STUB KIT,930 SPORTSMAN,11" ROTOR,LARGE 4 PISTON CALIPER

This converts your car over to wide five vw. Now you can take off the adapter or buy the parts in pieces and only buy what you need. Like the bearing carrier, axle and brake parts. So you save almost 200 for not needing the wheel adapters and run 5 lug 4.5 rims. Or get your own adapters made etc.

But those are the type and exact kits I have run on all my cars from big to small.
    Now for this mini I am not doing the complete kit but only doing the parts I want. I have the flanges with brakes if I so choose but I am going to run 1 inboard 4 piston Wilwood brake caliper and see if that works.
    1. it saves money. Only needing one brake rotor and caliper.
    2. it saves weight at the wheels.. so unsprung weight where it makes a bigger difference is saved.
    3. it makes the car easier to plumb for brake lines.. just one.. easy for replacing/repairing etc.
    4. I am going to go with 14 inch rims with UTV tires so the larger rotors and calipers don't fit in the small rims. So. those are my reasons.
    But my plates have them in case I ever step up to some big tires and rims and need more stopping power I can mount them at the wheels if need be.

Thanks for the questions.
    Last edited by TutTech; 08-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini A-arm Single Seat Race Buggy (Pics of Arms on)
    Thanks Tut,

Plenty of info there.

Nick.
    Ride it like you Stole IT!!!

3. Collapse Details
    Glad that helped.

Just to try to give a scale shot here is a quick pic of this new smaller frame next to my old 31 inch BFG tires taken from Kitt, which measure 30 inches tall sitting next to it.

Sheesh makes it look like one of the King of the Hammers Rock Crawling buggies.
    But you can see how much smaller it is I hope in that pic. I will be going with some 26 inch tall probably Maxxis Big Horn UTV tires at this point.. Seems better and as you can tell it needs some smaller UTV tires not car tires. Plus this buggy is 10 inches longer then the smaller short course or Stadium buggy version. So just think of how much smaller that buggy will be.

Also here is a pic of the front arms now hooked up to the front spindle.. well part of the spindle I still have to put it together. Cool. Just cycleing it to see what my clearances are with the heims I get 20 inches of free movement with steering working. Just wanted to see with the heims laying down I wanted to make sure they did not bind to soon. That is plenty and I won't come close to that when the steering is hooked up and shocks are on so I am good to go.

Last edited by TutTech; 08-13-2010 at 03:00 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    One of Tuts frames, 29 inch allterrain tires, Fox shocks, RPM, 930's, Yamaha Apex, 4 wheel disc ... Hey what are all you guys doing here in my head or was I talking out loud ???

ALW

5. Collapse Details
    Some updated pics.

Thanks for looking.

6. Collapse Details
    coming along nicely Tut...

7. Collapse Details
    Sweet

8. Collapse Details
    Nice work...and fast too!

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. Helps to keep me motivated.
    Ok so I set up the light bar with a strut rod with left and right threads so I can do quick adjustments of the entire light bar. This is great so you don't have to try to adjust each light one at a time you just turn the strut rod and all the lights move up or down together. Nice and fast.

I am using some cool little 4 inch HID lights for it. The light bar will hold 4 of those small lights and I will have 2 more on the buggy at all times.

(I will only need the light bar for night races or playing at Glamis etc. other wise I will just run 2 of the small HIDs on the car and pull the light bar off.)

Now on to the good news.
    I was able to set up and work on the front suspension.
    I set this car up really different then my other cars. Different a arms, rack in front etc. and I set the car up to run the same size shocks front and back so should I need a spare, need to switch, or whatever I could be all set with just one size and type of shock. So that went well and worked great.

Plus the best news of all is this little buggy did way better then I thought and has almost 18 inches of wheel travel with Zero bumpsteer! Nice.. I never thought it would get so much but it did. Thats awesome.

The best part is it has 10.5 inches of droop and 7.25 of compression. So this means with the 26 inch tall tires im running I will have 5.75 inches of ground clearance minus some compression from the tires. Again wow super nice. Great little buggy so far.

Front showing the new set up

couple more pics

Well hope to start on the rear end in about 3 to 4 weeks. Lots of stuff going on over the next 3 weekends. So won't get to do anything major for a bit. We have the racers picnic next weekend then prep Kitt for the race and then the Sept. 11th race. So little busy.
    Anyways cool thanks for looking.

Last edited by TutTech; 08-22-2010 at 07:58 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini A-arm Single Seat Race Buggy (Front shocks on)
    Awesome looking rig. What kind of dimensions are you ending up with? Wheelbase and width at the spindles.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast