Thread: Help please

1. Collapse Details
    Help please
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.The reason why I'm writing this is because I bought a quicksilver SR440 buggy and it was fun,but later while riding it it kept popping out of gear and when starting it it would start fine but if I tried putting it in gear it would not go in.The type of transmission is a old Comet F-n-R transmission one day I decided to open it up,which was a pain and inspected it and the oil was filthy dark black like it hasn't been changed before.once I cleaned it with some carb cleaner it look like nothing was wrong until I saw the input shaft the drive gear was a little chewed up tried looking for solutions but couldn't find any I even called comet and they said they only had a transmission rated for 16 HP and my engine has 40hp so at this point I don't know what to do at least some one can tell me. Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Help please
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    welcome to MBN

16hp FnR gearbox and 40hp engine,,,, yup, just a matter of time.

probably your cheapest option is a new Comet gearbox but I am sure the result will be the same after some time and miles.

if you want a gear box that will hold up to the power and last a long time, then maybe see if you can put an RPM gear box in your buggy.
    the low HP ones are rated 100hp
    the high HP ones are rated up to 300hp

RPM Gearbox

Comets are much cheaper and I'm guessing if you are using that gear box you have a chain running back to a straight axle ?
    RPM is set up for independent rear suspension