Thread: Rack Placement

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rack Placement
    I working on getting the rack placed, I have frt steer spindles, At full droop when i lift one wheel the opposite side frt of the wheel points way out. I am not sure which way to start moving the rack?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Rack Placement
    Can you post some pics Jerry, not that it will help but we'd like to see what it is.

Is there a range of motion where moving one wheel does not cause the other to change position? Do you have a way to clamp the rack down as you conduct these experiments? If so then move it forward, backward up or down, clamp it and see what happens. See wha happens when moving both wheels at the same time.

3. Collapse Details
    The control rods are too long in the placement they are at, which is why when you lift the wheel, it pushes the wheel out, so the rack needs to go down and/or the inner mounts need to go out to shorten them up....

Do you have some direct shots of the current front end with the wheel pointed straight forward? I might be able to give you a better idea of where to start if I can see where it currently is...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

4. Collapse Details
    I can move the wheel up maybe 1 inch before the other wheel moves (ft out).

I hope these photos are helpful if not i will try again

5. Collapse Details
    I need a straight on shot, something like this, only include the spindle mounts in the pic.....
    918-521-3736

6. Collapse Details
    Sorry it took so long getting the photos i had to move a ton of stuff beforee i could move the buggy

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You need to move the rack down so that the tie rods are parallel to the lower a-arm. That's where to start, at least.

Another thing to do that would help is to move the mounting points on the rack so that they are a little closer together. Draw a line from the upper a-arm mounts to the lower a-arm mounts and then put the points on the rack on those lines.

Get everything parallel to start with and then work from there.

8. Collapse Details
    HI Kfab i am not sure what you mean move the rack down so the tie rods are
    paralle to the lower a arm?? can you paint it

9. Collapse Details
    Remember I said that for the wheel to push out, that meant the arm was too long as it cycled up, which is why I said you would need to move the rack down before I even saw where it was located. You can see in the pic, that by lowering the mont so the tierod is more level between the a-arms, it shortens up the control rod so it doesn't push out as it cycles up.

Although your upper and lower a-arms appear to be parallel, so you can mount the control rod parallel to them, that's not really how you set them up. If the inner upper/lower heims for the a-arms are 5" apart, and the outer upper and lower spindle mount heims are 5" apart, and the outter control rod is 2.5" off the bottom, then the inner heim will be 2.5" off the bottom, both would be 50 percent up at that point. But if the inner mounts are 4" apart,and the outer heims are 6" " apart, and the outter control heim was 3" up from the bottom, the inner one would be 2" from the bottom (again, 50 percent up for each point)so it would be up the same percentage from the bottom on both sides...

The driver side is your current setup, and where you would lower the rack since the arms are parallel. The passenger side is showing an example of where the rack would prob. be located if the upper and lower arms were not parallel.

Just a little FYI, you can lower the rack, or raise the spindle mount control rod mount, both will acomplish the same thing, which is to get the control arm inline with te upper and lower arms..
    Last edited by yoshi; 06-14-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    918-521-3736

10. Collapse Details
    This one is off optic the half tubes were added to streghten the arm someone suggested it i the shock mounting post. I beleive this is what they ment correct it is t be welded every other inch

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast