Thread: Tracks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tracks
    Anyone ever try and run a track system on a buggy? *I know they are a little over priced(?) but hear me out. *I can only afford to run one toy(for financial reasons, I'd be divorced with more than one, and divorces are expensive!!), and I'm not allowed on the trails in the winter with tires. *I was thinking of those track kits with the ski's on the front and tracks on the rear for the winter months. *I'm assuming that when using hubs from a quad then the track system for that quad will bolt up. *Plus, I think they look cool as hell!!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tracks
    I have thought of the same thing. it would be pricey but i even thought of using mattracks or even just short 121 snowmobile tracks and some nice wide skis up front. even dune tires would work good in the snow if it just packed trail.

3. Collapse Details
    paddles suck in the snow, or at least they did when i tried them....

4. Collapse Details
    Paddles do suck in snow, even when it is packed. All they do is spin and dig you into a rut, and you have no side traction. we were better off with knobbies on the groomed trails, as long as you didn't stop uphill.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

5. Collapse Details
    See i have run both on my quad and big V paddles kicked ass over knobs. you just have to keep you wheel speed up and learn to slide with it

6. Collapse Details
    Thats were i ran mine on the quad, In deep snow maybe, but oin packed trail they sucked way to much wheel spin IMO....Almost like running nobbies on clear ice....

7. Collapse Details
    How many paddles did you run? was it a flat paddle or a V?

8. Collapse Details
    That and i think he was talking more about running with a track... like a snowmobile or mattrack looking setup

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I want to run a mattrack type system with tracks on the rear and ski's up front. *In the winter here tires are not allowed on the trails. *I know there would be an increase in unsprung weight on the rear, but plastic skis on the front would be lighter, and keep the front up on the snow. *I have never been up close to a track system though, but I assume that the just bolt on to the existing hubs. *I'm planning a build with an ATV as a donor, and they make track systems for ATV's, so I shouldn't run into problems there. *I've seen them on everything from Raptor's and Banshee's to 4WD track systems for the utility quads. *I know that the majority of the members here run sand, as far as I can tell anyway, but I was hoping to see if tracks were done on a buggy before. *Has anyone here ever rode ANYTHING with tracks before? *(Other then sleds of course) *Do you think I would have a major increase in steering effort with ski's in front?

10. Collapse Details
    Great Minds think alike.

1. Where is here? (where do you live?)

I also thought about this and had some time to do some dwgs as to how to keep the unsprung weight down and really if you build your own system you could make it so the drive wheel doesn't move and the boogie wheels move under it much like a tank does.

On the skis i it will act like a snowmobile does with seating. unless your moving its going to be much harder then normal. but i think that is a minor problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast