Thread: mounting shocks

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: mounting shocks
    Your sock angle is correct, your trying to get 90 degrees to the inner and outer mount, you don't factor in the lower shock location as part of the 90 degree angle..

Also, if your gonna leave the rear upper mount the way it is, you need a second brace gong up, as the tube your hitting now is long and without an bracing will bend very easily, you should also re mount it so the weight is pushing directly into the bottom of the tube at full compression so there is no twisting load on the tube.....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi\";p=\"72003
    Your sock angle is correct, your trying to get 90 degrees to the inner and outer mount, you don't factor in the lower shock location as part of the 90 degree angle (although it is not the most important thing in the world, as many buggies rarely hit that mark)..

Also, if your gonna leave the rear upper mount the way it is, you need a second brace gong up, as the tube your hitting now is long and without an bracing will bend very easily, you should also re mount it so the weight is pushing directly into the bottom of the tube at full compression so there is no twisting load on the tube.....
    dammit, when is the edit button gonna get fixed? I thought I was adding a few words to my post and it quoted me instead...lol
    918-521-3736

3. Collapse Details
    From what I can see I'd run a tube from the bar that your shock tabs are mounted to across to the other side just above the shockeye and between the tabs just above the shockeye tying one side to the other.Weld the topside of the tabs to the crossbar. *May be a better way but I haven't been following this too closely and may not be seeing everything I should be.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi\";p=\"72005
    dammit, when is the edit button gonna get fixed? I thought I was adding a few words to my post and it quoted me instead...lol
    If the edit feature had not been SEVERELY abused recently it would not have been disabled.Anyone have any idea what made ecoli_happens go off the deep end?????? Someone here has to know what pissed him off.There are changes coming that will eliminate the ability to do what he did.Till then the edit feature is likely not going to work.

5. Collapse Details
    [quote=masterfabr\";p=\"72008]
    Quote Originally Posted by "yoshi\";p=\"72005":r2pe5kgd
    If the edit feature had not been SEVERELY abused recently it would not have been disabled.Anyone have any idea what made ecoli_happens go off the deep end?????? Someone here has to know what pissed him off.There are changes coming that will eliminate the ability to do what he did.Till then the edit feature is likely not going to work.[/quote:r2pe5kgd]

I was wondering the same thing,I went to reread some things he told me about living in Utah and all his posts were gone.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    I may make the admins unhappy by putting this out but yes,ecoli_happens deleted all his posts for apparently no reason.There was no indication given as to why to anyone. He just deleted everything.That is NOT going to be tolerated and steps are being taken to prevent it in the future. SOMEONE has to know what the problem was.It would be nice to know what happened.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi\";p=\"72003
    Your sock angle is correct, your trying to get 90 degrees to the inner and outer mount, you don't factor in the lower shock location as part of the 90 degree angle..
    Yes, you do. Since your a bike guy, go look at a Buell and tell me how the shocks on those work since they lay almost parallel to the swing arm pivot and axle.

8. Collapse Details
    [quote=bdkw1\";p=\"72014]
    Quote Originally Posted by "yoshi\";p=\"72003":2rip8bvd
    Yes, you do. Since your a bike guy, go look at a Buell and tell me how the shocks on those work since they lay almost parallel to the swing arm pivot and axle.[/quote:2rip8bvd]It's a cantilever setup, *which allows you to put the shock in any position you wish, your not comparing apples to apples....

Here is a drawing to illustrate what is happening. *Pretend your pushing this triangle straight up, the outer red dots represent the a-arm mounts, the blue represents the shock angle. *The bottom pic would represent a shock mounted under the a-arm, the top represents above. *I know it is prob. a little extreme to what usually goes on, but having an extreme angle shows you clearly what is happening. *If you were to push this triangle straight up (which represents full compression) the shock in the middle (90 degrees to the mounts) will be more progressive, where lining it up 90 degrees off the inner mount and the shock mount (like you are saying) throws it way in or way out depending on where you mount the shock. *The shape of the a-arm, and the lower mount for the shock, don't matter, all that matters is that the load is transfered to from the a-arm to the upper shock mount in the most progressive way possible...........

In a cantilever setup, the shock is always seeing the most progressive load since the shock ends up being 90 degrees to the cantilever arm at full compression...
    918-521-3736

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"72012
    I may make the admins unhappy by putting this out but yes,ecoli_happens deleted all his posts for apparently no reason.There was no indication given as to why to anyone. He just deleted everything.That is NOT going to be tolerated and steps are being taken to prevent it in the future. SOMEONE has to know what the problem was.It would be nice to know what happened.
    Man, this is really pissing me off, I always proof read my stuff, and still end up editing my post 95 percent of the time for misspellings, I am very anal about it for some reason. *I just made another typo, and can't fix it. *Who cares if he deleted all his post, it's his right to do so if he no longer wants to be a member. *I seriously doubt it will happen again, as i've never heard of anyone doing it before. I know you can delete a whole reply at Glamisdunes.com, and I love that feature, never seen it taken advantage of. Why can't you set it back up, then figure it out later, I am pretty sure it is annoying the hell out of a lot of people besides me, and is almost to the point where I don't wanna reply until it's fixed because I edit almost all of my replies, sometimes for misspellings, sometimes for stuff I said and wish I hadn't, and sometimes just to be more clear about what I was saying and didn't feel I got my point across, but not having a delete or edit feature makes me not wanna reply......

edited for yoshi by minibajaman
    918-521-3736

10. Collapse Details
    [smilie=banghead.gif] Don't you have something better to do? Try proof reading BEFORE you hit submit.Simple.As said in another post the problem is being fixed.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast