Thread: mounting shocks

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: mounting shocks
    An emulsion shock has to be ran upright, or to a max angle likely 45 degrees, a resi shock or non emulsion shock can be ran in any direction....

2. Collapse Details
    I really can't thank you guys enough for such a great topic and discussion/debate.I have learned a lot from it.Proved some of my gut instinct was right and was shown several new things also.FANTASTIC!

3. Collapse Details
    This picture belongs in this thread.
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attac...y-nz-mini2.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    This picture belongs in this thread.
    MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community
    That's a cantilever setup, which has different design requirements, and besides, looking at that pic, at full bump I don't think that shock will be 90 degrees to anything...
    Last edited by yoshi; 06-18-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    It was brought up during the discussion,thats all.

6. Collapse Details
    Actually I think it is.The shock would be at a 90 to the fulcrum it's attached to at the top when in full bump.I don't think it will travel as far as you show.At any rate that's a complex bunch of crap that is totally unnecessary and I'm betting a bear to tune.See that adjustable upper link? Anyone see Rube Goldberg near it?

7. Collapse Details
    It actually bears a very close resemblance to the early Kawasaki Uni-track rear suspension linkage.

The point is, to figure your motion ratio you use the lower shock pivot and front arm pivot. The whole premise of the debate was whether the shock needed to be at 90 to the arm or the pivots at full bump to get maximum force.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    It actually bears a very close resemblance to the early Kawasaki Uni-track rear suspension linkage.

The point is, to figure your motion ratio you use the lower shock pivot and front arm pivot. The whole premise of the debate was whether the shock needed to be at 90 to the arm or the pivots at full bump to get maximum force.
    I agree the debate was the location of shock and a-arm/lower shock mount, but I don't think the pics of this rail support either side of the debate since it will not be 90 degrees to anything at full compression....
    918-521-3736

9. Collapse Details
    Actually, it does. Going by the theory that the shock needs to be 90deg to the arm at full bump for maximum force, linkage or no linkage that buggy would have 0 spring rate at full bump with the shock in that position per that theory. Obviously it doesn't.

To figure your motion ratio you need to work off the shock and arm pivot points. This carries over to where your maximum force will occur at.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Actually, it does. Going by the theory that the shock needs to be 90deg to the arm at full bump for maximum force, linkage or no linkage that buggy would have 0 spring rate at full bump with the shock in that position per that theory. Obviously it doesn't.

To figure your motion ratio you need to work off the shock and arm pivot points. This carries over to where your maximum force will occur at.
    the theory wasn't that the shock need to be 90 degrees to the main arm, but 90 degrees to the loaded arm. If it attaches to the arm, then the arm is the loaded part, if there is a cantilever setup, then the new loaded part that needs to be 90 degrees is the part of the cantilever between the pivot point and the shock...

the blue is the shock, the yellow bar shows where the loaded parts are and where the 90 degree equation comes into play.

The cantilever setup he has doesn't change the debate about the 90 degree location either way...
    918-521-3736

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast