Thread: mounting shocks

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: mounting shocks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    A more real world comparison would have been to move the shock mount out so that the wheel travel and shock travel stayed the same in both 1 and 2.
    That is why I gave the third example which brought the shock back to 90 at full bump. I moved the shock mount in on example 3 (fig 17), and kept shock travel and wheel travel identical. I could move the shock mount out on example 1 but the shock would have to be laid over to maintain identical wheel travel.

The illustrations are just to make a point of how changing one thing affects others. If you only make a very small change in the illustration, then it is hard to see why everything was affected.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plkracer View Post
    Thanks for the definition kfab, I looked it up when I first saw it, then made the connection. Engineer, I appreciate your mathematical contribution to the board. It is nice to see how it all appears on paper.

If this is all correct, can we make the shock mount higher than the arm to make it 90, when it is not 90 degrees to the line through the arm itself?
    Could you redefine which 90 degrees, and which line you are refering to.

Thanks

3. Collapse Details
    If the shock mount was put above the line from the frame pivot to the ball joint, would you use the angle between the frame pivot and the lower shock mount? If you did this, you could achieve 90 between the lower shock mount and the frame mount line, and the line through the two shock pivots. This would make the shock appear to be laid down, although it would still be 90 to the proper lines. Look at some bikes. This is how they are set up. The "red" line in the previous pics is almost vertical in this case, and the shock is near horizontal. It wouldn't be that extreme for our buggies, but it shows a point.

4. Collapse Details
    Here's a pic to ponder.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plkracer View Post
    If the shock mount was put above the line from the frame pivot to the ball joint, would you use the angle between the frame pivot and the lower shock mount? If you did this, you could achieve 90 between the lower shock mount and the frame mount line, and the line through the two shock pivots. This would make the shock appear to be laid down, although it would still be 90 to the proper lines. Look at some bikes. This is how they are set up. The "red" line in the previous pics is almost vertical in this case, and the shock is near horizontal. It wouldn't be that extreme for our buggies, but it shows a point.
    I understand what you are saying now. If you go back to my first large post on page 20, figures 6-9 illustrate this point. In the later posts I started refering to the shock as laid down when the angle was less than 90 at full bump. It really had nothing to do with the horizontal/vertical positioning of the shock. Figure 6-9 show that the shock can have any rotational position and still be at 90 degrees to the swingarm mounts (red line in illustrations) if the mounts are laid out that way. Just like the bike you posted. The shock is horizontal, yet because of the location of the lower (right) shock mount on the arm it is probably close to 90 at full compression.

6. Collapse Details
    I think i am following this, are you saying as long as the shock is 90 to the frame mount and the lower shock mount. The shock can be angled to the left or right of the center ofthe lower a arm to some degree with out effecting the valving effectiveness???

7. Collapse Details
    I believe that is correct. One problem is that you cannot angle emulsion shocks, such as the fox airs without reservoir, too much, or you will get the nitrogen into the oil which will screw up your valving.

8. Collapse Details
    Does any one know how much of an angle you can have???

9. Collapse Details
    If you are more than 45 degrees to the horizontal you should be fine. It also has to do with how much oil you have in them. A little more oil can yeild a bit more angle, if you are really trying to pinch out all the angle you can.

10. Collapse Details
    That is great to know. I am running stock shocks, the angle thing will help me out.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast