Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5 Link Rear Set-Up?
    I was wondering *when people make a 5 link rear suspension set-up why is there only 1 bar on the top of the rear upright? I mean I know thats why it's 5 links but why not a second bar on top making it 6? would'nt that be stronger? Or would that bind up the movement of the upright because there are 2 bars leading from the front of the upright to the frame? As Always THANX!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 5 Link Rear Set-Up?
    There is no need for any extra strength.The one top link is more than adequate.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm working on designing a 5 link my self and have found my self asking that very same question. i haven't had a chance to work it out but i would think that it would in fact bind. the arc made by the outter hemi is determined by the the mounting points of the inner tow. so if you did want to add a 6th member you would have to make sure that where it mounts on the frame is precisely between the other to on the frame or it would cause a bind.

4. Collapse Details
    I've been thinking the same thing. I just dont have the time for R&D[smilie=banghead.gif], I'm hoping sombody who actually knows can chime in and help us both out Thanx!

5. Collapse Details
    Don't think. Just do. [smilie=banghead.gif] 5 links are all that will ever be needed.Otherwise just go double A-arm. No need to reinvent the wheel. What you need to do is concentrate on developing a suitable camber gain for your 5 link.

6. Collapse Details
    After reading this post I though about it a bit. *6 links should work and not bind up if they are all located properly. *However, as masterfabr said there is absolutely no reason to do so from a strength standpoint. *One of the advantages of the 5 link is that the load is spread out over several members and a large area of the frame. *The links will never bend or fail from any lateral, vertical, or longitudinal loads that the vehicle develops. *The only thing that can hurt a 5 link is catching one of the rear cross-links on something like a rock or stump (I've been there and done that), but in that case 6 links will be of no help at all.

7. Collapse Details
    Of course it CAN be done but why. KISS it. Keep It Simple Silly.

8. Collapse Details
    Ok now I just neeed to stop and make up my mind to either go with an "A" arm or 5Link ? I think 5 link are more for sand and "A"arm are more for rough roads or racing like an alternative to semi-trailing arms? I hope to be posting pic's soon as I figure out how. To everybody *[smilie=blowkiss.gif]

9. Collapse Details
    What are you going to be doing with the car?

JMO.

Trails,a-arm first,5-link second.

Stadium lite,5-link

Desert,t-arm.

Do a search, its been discussed by the people that know on here before.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    I agree .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast