Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    bushing material???
    so at my work, we use alot of hydraulic punches and presses. on the bits, we put this hard plastic material. its red, with a hole in it, about the diameter of a 50 cent piece. it feels almost oily but its completely dry, also it feels rock hard, but when compressed under 50,000lbs it smashes down like rubber and comes back fully, never cracks, and rarely splits. *it is machinable.. *does anyone know what it is? and if it can be used for bushings in a-arms? *thanks *-matt

edit- it may be nylon rod.. *would this also work??

edit-again- *in the sake of not starting a 100 threads.. ill post another related question. *the bolts for my a-arms needed to be 14 inches long. i couldnt find any. so i made my own, using threaded rod and welded a nut to one end. *the entire rod is threaded, will this eat up whatever bushings im using? wheather it be poly, bronze or whatever? *thanks guys. * * -matt
    I wear a tie.....

note to self: act normal around nutz4sand...

2. Collapse Details
    Re: bushing material???
    Viton that's usually the color they use, 4 time more expensive than buna,
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

3. Collapse Details
    It may be polyurethane which is often used for bushings.

You should have crush sleeve inside your bushings anyway or whatever others may call them. If using 1/2" bolts for example, you might use 3/4" .120 wall tubing for sleeves. You can tighten the bolt up snug without squeezing the bushing.

4. Collapse Details
    Poly or Delrin (Acetyl) is used for bushings and is commonly available. Bug can make some for you . . .

That 14" threaded rod is going to be trouble for several reasons. First, unless it is grade 8 material is will fail. Second, unless it is held in double shear it may bend even if grade 8. Third, use a crush sleeve to prevent pinching bushings between mounting tabs.

Overbuild these components for safety.

5. Collapse Details
    What type of buggy are you building? My rear a arms have 14" pivot bolts and no crush sleeves. I've never had a problem. I use 5/8" c.r.s. shaft and just thread the ends. Then I puddle weld a nut onto one end. If your threads enter into the bushings it will tear them up. *If you make your a arms with the bushings a snug fit, you should be fine. Cycle the arm up and down when tightening the nylock nut on the pivot shaft and just make it snug. don't make it bind. I run sintered bronze flange bushings on mine and I also grease them.

6. Collapse Details
    i got to thinking about it (the threaded rob bolts) and ill just thread the ends of some steel rod. *the tabs for the arms are set with 1/16 extra space, that will be for the bushings. what i will probably do is have my machine shop make some bronze bushigns for me from bronze rod. thats what my buddy(guy who owns shop) did on his buggy. i just figured if this red stuff was good, then it would be free.. * my a arms have a 12.5 inch spread on the bottom, going to a 2.5 on the top. the side tubes are 18 inches long. tube is 3/4 ID. not sure about thickess. *also, i posted a build intro earlier. * -matt
    I wear a tie.....

note to self: act normal around nutz4sand...

7. Collapse Details
    Does not the crush sleeve force the sleeve to rotate on the bolt? I thought the bolt was to rotate in the bushings?

8. Collapse Details
    If you use a crush sleeve the bushing rotates about the sleeve. The bolt forces the mount tabs tight to the sleeve......I think?

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, the tabs tighten to the sleeve and the bushing rotates on that.

10. Collapse Details
    Any chance someone could post a simple sketch of this?
    crush sleeve with bushing?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast