Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: My 3-link go-kart rear axle concept
    Nut ,the centers should remain the same.

Fabr, funny i have a sketch of excactly that.Wasnt sure how much torque one cv could handle.I'll see if i can find the sketch,think i left it at work.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

2. Collapse Details
    But when you twist a belt it has to get longer to work in your application.

3. Collapse Details
    I think i see what your saying ,just going to have to try it.

did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd\";p=\"42422
    Nut ,the centers should remain the same.

Fabr, funny i have a sketch of excactly that.Wasnt sure how much torque one cv could handle.I'll see if i can find the sketch,think i left it at work.
    Run a 934.5 cv and I think you can go to 28 degrees and it will handle all the torque you can put to it. Post those sketches up.I'm *really intrigued by this concept.There's probably some reason why it's not done but I can't think of one at this time.

5. Collapse Details
    "There's probably some reason why it's not done but I can't think of one at this time."

Your probably right, im totally missing something.

BDKW1 seems to know 3/4 links pretty good so he'll probably shoot this right down.

6. Collapse Details
    There was a little 4x4 toy truck they made with little belts just like this and it was maybe a pound with low power and they did not work as the belts twisted and they had spring loaded suspensions that allowed for the belt to compress. *Was not made long....

Something you could consider to still use the belt. Mount the front belt drive cog to a CV or universal that allowed it to pivot with the entire rear end. You would have to run the bearing support from the axle up here but if your building it anyways. Then you could shield the belt from the rocks and such. There IS a reason you do not see belt drives on dirtbikes....

If you still got the axle/three link bug you could use a driveshaft and differential from a quad ( if you wanted it small) or a small import car for larger. Just make from the diff to the outer hubs a solid assembly out of tubes. The nice thing about this is the assembly can be built with a little extra ground clearance in the middle if you wish verses a straight axle thats......straight. * But the motor power would have to be aligned to the driveshaft.

The belt will need to be able to compensate when it pivots if the front and rear do not pivot together. The belt will also try to walk off the pullies at any kind of angle. It will also bind the suspension. Or break the belt. Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    Seems like it would be alot easier to just turn the engine sideways and run a plunging driveshaft doesn't it? *How big of a car and how much articulation angle are you trying to get? *At some point the belt will want to come off or be put under too much stress and snap.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm thinking turn the motor sideways so the ouput shaft is facing back, run your cvt off the drive shaft over to left (since centering the weight of the motor will putt the output shaft off to the right) run a plunging u-joint axle straight back into a diff like the one you were holding in the picture, and your good to go. *Same thing as what *your doing now, just adding a plunging u-joint axles and you don't have nearly as much custom stuff to build, and avoiding the twisting of the belt......
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

9. Collapse Details
    That belt will not handle the articulation. masterfabr's idea intrigues me though. Think a regular quad style swing arm with one big CV in the center. You can have more travel than the same CV would normally give because when one wheel is at full bump and the other full droop, the CV is half way between. You would then have two additional links going to bearing housings at the end of the axle and that is where the shocks would connect. The center would be supported by the axle.

10. Collapse Details
    To make the rear belt pulley be mounted solid then run a shaft thru it with the cv in the middle and be able to hold the pulley against the belts "pull" under load is gonna be a neat little piece to build. The bearings to hold the pulley will be HUGE diameter wise to allow the axle movement (read $$$ here) if its more than a couple inches. Plus you will be fabricating lots of parts to hold and mount those bearings. Side loads are gonna murder it unless the outside links have a connecting link going clear around the stationary middle part. The center part *will STILL need to be free to move up and down while the outside pivots back and forth. So you are gonna need shocks to the outside. The inside may move up and down ok but I am betting it will need shocks of some type as well. *If built it would be interesting to watch it cycle over uneven/bad terrain but its gonna be $$$$ before you are done that way.

Going the other way. Make the rear solid like you want. Then affix the front pullley to a cv. This way you pivot both the front and rear sprockets at the same time. You have the motor sitting a little off to the right and the the sprockets can be mounted off to the left to offset weight. The rear pulley can be mounted near the left tire ( If you ARE using a solid axle it will still pivot the same no matter where the pulley is and you gain center ground clearance and the sprocket would be more protected near the tire. Utility ATV's do this all the time for those reasons. *A simple connecting set of tubes from the axle to the front pulley would allow it to be aligned all the time. But as it cycles up and down the belt will gain and lose tension. Perfect pivot points will be required either way.

If you still wanted the pulleys in the middle then its not next to the motor but behind it. Same deal. A sprocket to a CV that pivots with the pulley. *Might be easier to find a shaft drive bike motor and just use a common small diff. Unless your building it simply because you could. I am thinking there is a reason no one mass produces them this way due to the nitemares involved to make it strong and reliable. *Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast