Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Pros & Cons of front suspension
    Hello new guy here, first i want to say this place is awsome, i have been reading for awhile now and first time posting. I just bought a frame from short sand cars and will go get it sometime in early jan. I will finish the rest on my own and was wondering if there is pros & cons to diff types of front suspension, like the type that ssc (A-arm) uses or like the type belmore rails (El toro)uses(4 link?). Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Pros & Cons of front suspension
    Welome to minni buggy, Racer.
    This is truley an awesome site there is so much brain power here that it's scary..... And the comerodery is extrordinary...
    My opinion is that dual control arms are the way tp go due to the fact that there is more adjustment, (caster/camber/spindle rake etc.) But thats just my opinion

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to the site. *It's always good to have new people coming in.

Dual (generally un-equal length) A-arms are generally the best way to go. *As renegade said, you can do so much with them and control the spindle's adjustment through the travel.

I'm not familiar with the El-Toro as you've called it - four link? *I'm guessing it's a beam setup with four control arms for up/down control and then a link that runs transverse across to keep it from moving laterally? *Would this be similar to the setup you find on the front end of a sprint car.

Another type is the beam suspension you find on the front of most VW powered rails - two tubes that run across the front of the car with trailing links coming off them. *Tough units, heavy, not much travel, no control of camber/caster through the cycle.

The A-arm really is the way to go. *You can do them in many fashions and mounting positions, and they're easy to make.

Here are a couple links that talk about front suspension:
    [url=https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=767:38m69 ytw]minibuggy link[/url:38m69ytw]
    [url=http://www.yellowdogracing.com/setup.htm:38m69ytw]Yellow Dog Racing link[/url:38m69ytw]

I see you've said that you purchased a SSC chassis - please tell me you didn't purchase the two speed tranny they offer. *If you did, please let us know, as there's a load of info on the unit - and none of it is good.

4. Collapse Details
    not sure what tranny u are talking about? My dad and grandpa got the jeffco diff.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab\";p=\"17943
    Welcome to the site. *It's always good to have new people coming in.

Dual (generally un-equal length) A-arms are generally the best way to go. *As renegade said, you can do so much with them and control the spindle's adjustment through the travel.

I'm not familiar with the El-Toro as you've called it - four link? *I'm guessing it's a beam setup with four control arms for up/down control and then a link that runs transverse across to keep it from moving laterally? *Would this be similar to the setup you find on the front end of a sprint car.

Another type is the beam suspension you find on the front of most VW powered rails - two tubes that run across the front of the car with trailing links coming off them. *Tough units, heavy, not much travel, no control of camber/caster through the cycle.

The A-arm really is the way to go. *You can do them in many fashions and mounting positions, and they're easy to make.

Here are a couple links that talk about front suspension:
    [url=https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=767:t6997 jq3]minibuggy link[/url:t6997jq3]
    [url=http://www.yellowdogracing.com/setup.htm:t6997jq3]Yellow Dog Racing link[/url:t6997jq3]

I see you've said that you purchased a SSC chassis - please tell me you didn't purchase the two speed tranny they offer. *If you did, please let us know, as there's a load of info on the unit - and none of it is good.
    K fab I never looked at your web site and I guess that was my mistake, I just wanted to tell you it looks good and shares alot of good info... It's funny that you mention Dennis kirk I live only a couple of minutes away from there, and thinking about taking a job in their tech department for the next couple of years till my arms heal up...Sorry racer didn't mean to jack your thread [smilie=non_banana1.gif]

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerj404\";p=\"17944
    not sure what tranny u are talking about? My dad and grandpa got the jeffco diff.
    Cool - you did well. *No worries. *There are a few guys here running the Jeffco and can give you all sorts of info if you need any.

7. Collapse Details
    Welcome Racer! *
    As well as K-fab's excellent site, you can find more info on suspension and steering and most aspects of buggy building [url=http://www.rorty-design.com/content/rorty_racing.htm20xgiu6]Rorty Racing[/url20xgiu6].

This forum is where the all best (and some of the absolute worst) buggy builders hang out, so you'll always get a reply to any query you might have. I look forward to seeing lots of build pictures.

8. Collapse Details
    Doh. *Sorry about that Bob - I had fully intended on linking your site too.

I got sidetracked looking at welders, coping grinders and tube benders... (I may be up to something)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab\";p=\"17961
    I got sidetracked looking at welders, coping grinders and tube benders... (I may be up to something)
    You're such a tease! Come on - you know you want to tell us all about it (if not can you PM me?)

10. Collapse Details
    Racerj404,
    Welcome to the site. A few of us are downriver in the Portland area and we look forward to hearing more about your build and then seeing it in action.

Front suspension design makes or breaks the driving experience. My car was built by sick Sand Travel and the front suspension is essentially a copy of SSC. Maybe SSC has changed.

The car did not steer well at all. It would not turn around in my cul-de-sac. It would not turn around in camp. It would only turn under power in a controlled slide. Slides are not always controlled in the confines of the Oregon dunes.

Here is a link to my build that describes the problem and solution.
    https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... rue&p=1025

Here is a link to an SSC project where the owner decided to sell. Why? He decided the front suspension design was wrong. He also came to realize that CV angles were going to be extreme. The car would not be all it could be.
    https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... opic&t=241

I personally would never again buy a car (frame) that I have not driven or at least ridden in - and recommended by someone I trust. It can be disappointing to drive and expensive to fix some of these designs. Spend your money once.

Guess I should edit just a bit. I would buy plans from Rorty and other providers. I would buy a car (roller) from Yoshi or El Toro or Taz if offered. Can't think of others right now that I would trust to deliver a well thought out design.

The Jeffco is sweetness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast