Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Heim joint questions
    What type work best on these buggies? I see you can get chromoly or mild steel with a zinc coating. Are there types that have more movement? What sizes work best for different parts on a buggy? Who has the best prices on these joint?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Heim joint questions
    Personal preference are QA1 4130 with kevlar/teflon liners.

3. Collapse Details
    Mike,
    It all depends on what you are building and how much you are willing to spend. There have been several posts about cheap heims so you might want to do a search.

To get more movement when needed we use high misalignment spacers. The chomo ones are stronger.

A few of us have purposely overbuilt our cars and use 3/4 inch rod ends. I think most people use 5/8 all around

Gene

4. Collapse Details
    Good info guys. Im building a Panther and replacing the bushings with heim joints. Well Im thinking about doing that anyhow.

Mike

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike\";p=\"15924
    What type work best on these buggies? I see you can get chromoly or mild steel with a zinc coating. Are there types that have more movement? What sizes work best for different parts on a buggy? Who has the best prices on these joint?

Thanks
    Mike
    All of them work, but some are more suited than others. There are litteraly dozens of rod end manufacturers:
    Aurora
    Goldline
    National
    Rose
    Timken
    SKF
    Fluro
    INA
    LDK
    Nachi
    FK
    Alinabal
    Durbal
    Lord
    QA1
    Heim (are they even being made any more?)

"You pays your money and you takes your choice".

All I would say is, only use Teflon (PTFE) lined rod ends on a buggy alloy steel for suspension and carbon steel for just about everything else.

"What size of rod end?" usually follows immediately after the "How was the earth created?" debate. *[smilie=biggrin.gif] *

There are normally two schools of thought for selecting rod end sizes: There's the school that, through ignorance, takes the overkill approach "Just to be on the safe side" and then there's the school that work out the size scientifically, including a safety margin, but then decide on a larger size anyway because "It offers more surface (bearing) area and won't therefore wear as quickly in an off-road environment".

The different approaches usually arrive at the same size in the end.

6. Collapse Details
    i opted to go 3/4 for overkill, and the fact that with 1/2 high mis spacers offers greater angles than 5/8 reduced to 1/2....

7. Collapse Details
    Damn you lot post quick! There were no replies to Mike's post when I started typing.

8. Collapse Details
    www.cheperformance.com has the QA1 4130 kevlar/teflon 3/4" for about 25.00. Not bad and the kevlar/teflon liner is great.Doesn't pound out.The people at che are great to deal with. I would not ever use teflon only liners as they will pound out almost immediately. The bronze liners need lubed all the time.Kevlar/teflon liners are TOUGH and wear resistant.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bugpac\";p=\"15930
    i opted to go 3/4 for overkill, and the fact that with 1/2 high mis spacers offers greater angles than 5/8 reduced to 1/2....
    3/4" rod ends with 1/2" hi-mis spacers are an excellent choice for the bottom of front uprights and 5/8" rod ends with 3/8" hi-mis spacers work well for the top ones.

1/2" rod ends are the norm for A-arm to chassis and 3/4" is a good choice for outer TA pivots. That's all asuming your buggy is the same as everyone else's. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

10. Collapse Details
    i opted to use 3/4 for all, except the 2 that go in the rack clevis, rack was designed for 3/8, then i had one size bungs, and one size high mis spacers... i just have the 15.00 chromo ones, no teflon kevlar, tho i will be changing to kevlar/teflon....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast