Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Help with tire size and rims for Apex powered Tazcar
    I have read here on the forum that many are ditching the 26" X 12" rear paddles and going with bigger diameter and rim size. I have the first Gen Tacar with an Apex engine and RPM gearbox, I dont know the gearbox ratio but everything seems to be set up right with clutches etc etc. I spin quite a bit out of the hole when "drag racing" in the sand but the STU 26" paddles hook up a few seconds later. I was thinking about 28" or 30" rear paddles for better hole shot, top speed not too much of a factor. What about widths, theres seems to be some wider than my 26" (see pics). Also Im not sure which are the best paddle tires for longevity, it seems the Scatrak tires seem to lose paddles. My STU's are doing fine until this weekend when I had to drive on concrete for a few hunderd yards to get the the sand, took some chunks out or the paddles ( Rim recommendation would be helpful too, I have 4/156 Douglas 190's right now. Anyhow any help would be much appreciated. P1010368.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stix; 10-18-2020 at 10:23 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Help with tire size and rims for Apex powered Tazcar
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I know that car. Haven't seen it in years.

Figure out the gear box ratio - it's really easy - jack up the rear so the wheels are off the ground.
    Put a mark on the secondary clutch - just a piece of tape or what have you. Position it straight up.
    Put a mark on a tire - piece of tape across the tread once again at 12 o'clock.
    Put it in forward
    Start turning the secondary clutch and count the number of times it goes around to get the wheel to turn one rev. Should either be 9:1 (my guess) or 8:1

My buddy Jay ran 13-60x15 Sandtires Unlimited paddles (31" overall diameter) on a very similar sized car (Desert Dog Coyote) with the same drive train. He's thinking he ran an 8:1 or 9:1 trans. The car toped out about 112-115 with this setup and got there quickly. It was just about perfect for duning.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

3. Collapse Details
    I checked my gear ratio and its 8:1. Is Jay the guy who used to transplant Apex motors in Tazcars?
    Last edited by stix; 10-22-2020 at 12:34 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    I know Jay stuck a couple of them in Tazcars, as did I with my first one.

With the 8:1 you can bump up to a 31” tall tire w/o any issues.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

5. Collapse Details
    Excellent. Im having issues finding rims to fit the 13-60x15 Sandtires Unlimited paddles (15" x 10" to 12" width) and the Tazcar. I need a 3" maximum offset from the hub or I will rub the shocks and/or trailing arm. So for a 15" diameter and 10" wide rim I need backspacing of 3X7 in a 4 lug 156 pattern. Even if I move to another tire in a 14" I cant seem to find my offset and bolt pattern with the proper offset. I hate to use spacers because I ride through some UTV trails that can get narrow, but I might not have a choice?? Any suggestions. Thanks!!

6. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Excellent. Im having issues finding rims to fit the 13-60x15 Sandtires Unlimited paddles (15" x 10" to 12" width) and the Tazcar. I need a 3" maximum offset from the hub or I will rub the shocks and/or trailing arm. So for a 15" diameter and 10" wide rim I need backspacing of 3X7 in a 4 lug 156 pattern. Even if I move to another tire in a 14" I cant seem to find my offset and bolt pattern with the proper offset. I hate to use spacers because I ride through some UTV trails that can get narrow, but I might not have a choice?? Any suggestions. Thanks!!

Yep I had the same issue.I ordered Gear One hubs and out board brakes 4bolt VW pattern
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

7. Collapse Details
    I think Im going back with the STU tires. This is the one Im looking at Sand Tires Unlimited Padla Trak Tires 13.00 x 15 No.2 - Kartek Off-Road I also found some rims close to my backspacing needed but Ill have to drill for the 4/156 bolt pattern, these should work right, 15 X 10" Aluminum Rim, 4 On 130mm, 2" Backspacing, Dunebuggy & VW | eBay these are a 2" backspacing and he has 3-1/2" backspacing, Im at 3" backspacing now and the tire runs pretty close to the shock spring. Also you said you recognize my Taz, I bought it from a guy in Arizona about 5 years ago, it had a different wrap on it, heres a pic of what it used to look like. He had this one and another that ws the newer chassis and it was either orange or yellow.
    new.jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I think Im going back with the STU tires. This is the one Im looking at Sand Tires Unlimited Padla Trak Tires 13.00 x 15 No.2 - Kartek Off-Road I also found some rims close to my backspacing needed but Ill have to drill for the 4/156 bolt pattern, these should work right, 15 X 10" Aluminum Rim, 4 On 130mm, 2" Backspacing, Dunebuggy & VW | eBay these are a 2" backspacing and he has 3-1/2" backspacing, Im at 3" backspacing now and the tire runs pretty close to the shock spring. Also you said you recognize my Taz, I bought it from a guy in Arizona about 5 years ago, it had a different wrap on it, heres a pic of what it used to look like. He had this one and another that ws the newer chassis and it was either orange or yellow.
    new.jpg
    those are tires I have with the same rims . as for the front mine are 15''STu Razor backs , with our short wb buggys the Razor backs turn great Way better than the 12'' Mowhawks that came with mine. That was Kfab that reconized yer buggy.
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

9. Collapse Details
    Interesting - never saw the white Gen 1 Taz but I’ve seen either pix or one that was very similarly schemed way back, years ago at ATV Racing when they were building them.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

10. Collapse Details
    Hey Rat I didnt realize it was you that responded, I thought it was K-fab, oops... So you have the rear STU 30" with the #2 cut(1-1/4" paddle) and that same rim with 10" width?? Did your rim come with your correct bolt pattern or did you have to drill new holes. You have an Apex correct, do you know your gear ratio in the RPM gearbox, mines 8:1. How do they perform in the sand, if you could buy tires again would you stay with the 30" or go bigger or smaller, or are they just right for launching, pulling up hills and not letting the engine struggle. Thx
    Last edited by stix; 10-26-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast