Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Wheels folding in, need help!
    looks like suzuki quad A-arms? For starters, to clean up that area to make room, i'd flip the shock's upper mounts to the outside, chop out the tube that connects the upper and lower frame tubes --reinstall more forward later once steering is set up, move the rack forward to get it inline with the steering arm pivots and centered to the upper/lower a-arm planes. that drag link isn't needed. A spreader for the rack will be. Looks like a vw build gone from torsion to a-arms? a dead-on frontal shot would help get an idea of how it's all located.

2. Collapse Details
    Honda trx quad arms. And yes old VW sandrail swapped to A arms. Tried to use as much of the old vw frame as I could to save time, the front end is all that I was able to really keep intact. I'll get a head on pic when I get off today.
    Looks like im just gonna cut it all out and redo all of it lol

3. Collapse Details
    So I'm working on it all right now, my next question is how out of line can my steering rack be until I start having issues? As of right now, I've moved it much closer inline but still about 3" off dead center. Any closer and I'll have to do some major cutting, which I'm hoping to avoid but if it must be done then so be it.

4. Collapse Details
    Went ahead and burned everything in and cut out a few pieces as you said xbird, and sure enough the problem seems to be gone! I really appreciate all y'alls advice!

5. Collapse Details
    depending on your tie rod/rack lengths, you might still have some bump steer to contend with. jack the front up, pull your shocks and with steering pointing straight ahead cycle one side from full droop to full bump and check how much it toes in/out. helps to have somone hold the steering wheel straight while you do this. if solo, watch for the steering wheel moving as you do this.

6. Collapse Details
    Sounds good I'll check that out tomorrow when I get to the shop!

7. Collapse Details
    Don't go too gung ho with the welder---especially with suspension stuff ...test and tack. gets to be a pain to find that things need move a little here and there after fully welding everything in.

8. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    I want you to know that when (most) of us built our machines we (for the most part) finished welded the same way you did. So don’t worry about that as we all have done it.

Like suggested, flip the upper shock mount to the outside, also once that is done you can move the steering rack way forward. But also but that outer frame (tube just behind the shock now) and to 8 inches. This way... when you make the steering rack the rack to spindle can be strait from the rack to the spindle (which you be closer to the original mount on the TRX set up). Plus that would allow you to remove the lower bar that connects below the steering arm from side to side.

We all have got “welder happy” and it’s not a bad thing. But a simple (so to speak) fix.

Mr Chikin

9. Collapse Details
    So I pulled the shocks and moved tire up and down. From neutral position (sitting on it's own weight) going all the way up to max there is very minimal bump, and going down the same distance there is very minimal bump as well, but the further down I go the worse it gets. Which the car would have to be off the ground in order to see this on the road.
    And as for the shock mounts, if I flip them to the outside they would have to be mounted high, 10 o'clock position, because of the shock length that I have. Which wouldn't normally be a problem, but it will interfere with the drop on body I'm going to be building for it. Which I could always cut holes for the shocks to come through the body, but would prefer not to If I can get away with where they are at.
    What I did was angle that tube towards the front to give me the clearance I needed for the tire rods, I was able to get the rack within 2" of dead center. I'm hoping this will be enough, if not then yes I will have to relocate everything.
    Unfortunately I'm working under the clock with this car, I have only 2-3 weeks left at the shop I work out of. So every decision I make I have to factor time into. I can always come back and make revisions if need be once I get a new place to work out of.

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Build it correctly from the start and you'll be happier.

Take the time (even though you don't have a lot) and do it correctly.

Drop on body that you'll be making - so make it after you've redone the front end correctly - move the shocks...

There's a massive amount of "Oh, I should have done it that way" and "I should have taken their advise" on this site. - kinda like everyone saying TACK IT FIRST... My entire chassis is 95% just tacked right now. (there are a few fully welded areas - but they need to be)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast