1. Collapse Details
    Droop?? Magic ratio?
    Looking for opinions on setting up a shock position.....Not sure if their is a magic ratio of how much "droop" or down vs up swing or if it is more of a personal preference. Example if the shock has 10" of stroke how much of the shaft should be showing when the car is at its resting position? (I know some times do to ride height of the car it may have to be different but for this example just looking for optimum position of the shock)
    Just trying to put every ass into a comfortable seat. BsSand & Racecraft Seats

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Droop?? Magic ratio?
    IDK if there is a magic number , it would all depend on how much travel you have and the ride height you want so far most the ones I have done have been around 30 to 40 percent droop range but that is with 6 to 8 inches of travel

3. Collapse Details
    Well, I had written somethibg, but every time I edit my post, it gets deleted?

I'll post again tonight

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plkracer View Post
    Well, I had written somethibg, but every time I edit my post, it gets deleted?

I'll post again tonight
    I cant edit posts either, it doesn't let me save them.
    Last edited by K-fab; 01-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    I cant edit posts either, it doesn't let me save them.
    Same, I click anywhere and they are promptly deleted....

I'm on my phone btw, no time anymore to use a computer

Back to the usual programming, I usually run between 50 and 60 percent of the shock shaft showing. This is with people in the car. My suspension is rather soft, and I am using airbags, so it is rather progressive, so the car usually sits with 75 plus percent of the shafts showing without people in the car. Make sure you take this into account.

Sitting at 50 percent drop, my trailing arms are nearly horizontal, which results in no anti squat. As The shocks are jacked up, the anti squat is really noticeable, and can be harsh when the suspension tries to jack underneath the car, and tops out over deep chatter and whoops.

6. Collapse Details
    Depends on what travel you have, what ground clearance, and what terrain you're running on really - I'm setup with more droop than bump, but then everything I do is fairly fast, rough terrain.

7. Collapse Details
    Typically when I set up a suspension for desert/sand, I will give the car 4" of ground clearance at full bump. this is for cars with 18"+ travel. If you have less travel and are worried about ground clearance you might want to give it a little more. But remember this all depends on different factors with your car.

edit- I just re read your post and I'm not sure if your fabing your shock mounts or just trying find a ride height. If your just looking for ride height, I usually set my cars up with about 60/40 and my trucks up with 50/50. But I've seen a lot of sand cars with around 80/20. it really depends on travel, tire size, terrain, shock valving/ springs, driving style, etc...
    IG:@Haycock_fab

8. Collapse Details
    Depends entirely on the car setup, terrain, driving style, etc.

I mean for me, for fast rally/offroad use, I set the car up so you have just enough that it grounds/hits the hard stops couple of times per stage (you don't want it to never bottom out, otherwise you're giving away suspension performance elsewhere for those odd occasions), and run as much droop as possible according to that. Base setup is about 60% droop on the rear and 45-50% droop on the front, that's with 12" of front travel and 18" rear*

(*That's 18" until the pan is about 1.5" clear of the floor and it hits the stops, not the magic 18" some people quote where the wheel is 4 inches in the air with the pan on the floor...)