1. Collapse Details
    BMW, Mercedes or Porsche Rear Axles
    Hi Everyone,

I'm researching how to build my rear axle setup and have been thinking of using the rear differential and CV axles from a BMW. The junk/scrapyards over here in Greece are full of them, so there is no shortage of parts available. Also, aftermarket parts, race versions and axle upgrades seem to be plentiful out of Germany. From a financial perspective, I was thinking it best to harvest one from the junkyard, then upgrading in the future if the need arises.

First thoughts were for ease of design and build in the buggy, the motor would need to be turned sideways and the drive sprocket ran via chain to the drive flange of the differential. I'm sure there would be some issues with such a short chain overheating, so I'm sort of stumped at that point in my 'mental design' process. Anyone gone this route, or have any input on gearing, how to keep the chain cool or other known setbacks that may pop up?

I attached a pic from the web of an E38 (7-Series) BMW rear axle that is for sale locally.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Re: BMW, Mercedes or Porsche Rear Axles
    Dan
    Things to consider :
    1) Articulation of the CV's.
    If you are building a long suspension travel buggy, make sure the BMW CV's can handle at least 20deg angle both inner and outer.
    2) Final drive ratio.
    I assume you will use the existing gearbox on the bike engine to drive the diff.
    Calculate the wheel rotation speed with the diff ratios in mind.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterholtz View Post
    Dan
    Things to consider :
    1) Articulation of the CV's.
    If you are building a long suspension travel buggy, make sure the BMW CV's can handle at least 20deg angle both inner and outer.
    2) Final drive ratio.
    I assume you will use the existing gearbox on the bike engine to drive the diff.
    Calculate the wheel rotation speed with the diff ratios in mind.
    Thanks for the heads up! I've been researching a lot, but unfortunately I'm not coming up with a lot of data yet. I could either run the diff or just the axles and build my own center shaft. Either way, it's just brainstorming as of now. I just started welding up my subframe yesterday, so I have a lot of work to do on the front end of the buggy before I get to that point, so plenty of time to research and plan for the final drive.

Cheers,
    Dan

4. Collapse Details
    I'll say this - we use 7 series diffs in quite a few buggies, but never the axles as they don't offer enough articulation, we used to bolt Range Rover shafts to them instead.