1. Collapse Details
    Springs and Weight help
    So I need some recommendations on my shock springs. When I ordered my springs the shop I ordered from asked me what I thought roughly my buggy would weight and I told them 1200-1400 lbs then they figured out what I needed. But when I was done my buggy I ordered scales and weighed it, It came out a little heavier then I thought.

Rear corners - 540lbs each
    Front corners - 310lbs each
    Total of 1700lbs with out driver or passenger in buggy.

The shocks are fox piggy back coil overs, rears are 14" of travel and the fronts are 12" of travel. The springs are Eibachs

The rear springs are, 1400-250-250 (bottoms)
    1400-250-150 (tops)

The front springs are 1200-250-200 (Bottoms)
    1200-250-150 (tops)

I have the spanner nuts screwed down roughly 2.5" to try and get it to stiffen up but not working it rides way to soft. I was told by a guy if you run a longer spring on the bottom then the top it keeps the stance up. Is that true? I need some help on what size of springs to buy.

Thanks for your help.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Springs and Weight help
    I hope this reply does not start off the setup wars... for me and my buggies this is how I do the initial setup, I do not go 90 mph through the woops, nor do I jump the car(s), having said that, here goes.

With the shock setup with correct N pressure I get the front, or rear off the ground. I take a measurement of the extended portion of the shock then run the preload ring to just where it contacts the spring(s) set. Lower it to the ground bounce it a few times then remeasure the shock again... the general rule is to look for 25% to 33% 'sag'. More than 33% sag your springs are too light, less than, too heavy. All of this is a general rule, the angle of your shocks, single or multiple, single spring or multi's will change things but the initial sag is what you are looking for.
    You say it rides too soft, valving and oil volume usually handle that depending on what conditions the shock is in, shudder bumps, low speed compression etc.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Real quick, a couple terms for you:
    Long spring (on bottom) is the Main Spring
    Short spring (on top) is the Tender Spring

If you're having to add 2.5" of preload, the springs are too soft.
    General rule of thumb is if you have to add more than an inch, you're too soft.

Like Glamisman said, you want the car to settle in at least 33% (if not closer to 40%) of the travel when sitting at static ride height (with you in the car). You don't want the car sitting at the top of the travel - that does no good for handling. You'd be surprised at soft and squishy a well set up car is. My desert car's almost "floppy" it's so soft and it's ride height is about 40% into the travel.

How far into the travel is your car sitting when you put it on the ground with you in it?

So you're running
    Rear: a pair of 14" long, 2.50" id springs, main of 250 lbs, tender of 150 lbs
    Front: a pair of 12" long, 2.50" id springs, main of 200 lbs, tender of 150 lbs
    Correct?

Try a couple of things to see if you can get in the ball park.

Up front, put one of the 250 lb springs on and see if you can get an acceptable ride height (with as minimal pre-load as possible). That will give you an idea of where to go and if it's stiff enough. If that works, throw the 200 lb tender on top and see if that still gives you a good ride height.

If the 50 lb change makes enough of a difference up front, then consider going at least 50 if not 75 or 100 lbs higher in the rear.

How about a couple pix - one of the car at full droop and then one at it's present static ride height? Set the collars at zero pre-load (just thread the collars down to touching the springs).

Hey bdk, wanna hop in on this conversation?

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Real quick, a couple terms for you:
    Long spring (on bottom) is the Main Spring
    Short spring (on top) is the Tender Spring

If you're having to add 2.5" of preload, the springs are too soft.
    General rule of thumb is if you have to add more than an inch, you're too soft.

Like Glamisman said, you want the car to settle in at least 33% (if not closer to 40%) of the travel when sitting at static ride height (with you in the car). You don't want the car sitting at the top of the travel - that does no good for handling. You'd be surprised at soft and squishy a well set up car is. My desert car's almost "floppy" it's so soft and it's ride height is about 40% into the travel.

How far into the travel is your car sitting when you put it on the ground with you in it?

So you're running
    Rear: a pair of 14" long, 2.50" id springs, main of 250 lbs, tender of 150 lbs
    Front: a pair of 12" long, 2.50" id springs, main of 200 lbs, tender of 150 lbs
    Correct?

Try a couple of things to see if you can get in the ball park.

Up front, put one of the 250 lb springs on and see if you can get an acceptable ride height (with as minimal pre-load as possible). That will give you an idea of where to go and if it's stiff enough. If that works, throw the 200 lb tender on top and see if that still gives you a good ride height.

If the 50 lb change makes enough of a difference up front, then consider going at least 50 if not 75 or 100 lbs higher in the rear.

How about a couple pix - one of the car at full droop and then one at it's present static ride height? Set the collars at zero pre-load (just thread the collars down to touching the springs).

Hey bdk, wanna hop in on this conversation?
    I will take some measurements tomorrow night and also take some pictures and play around with the springs. For you asking about the springs in my car that is correct what you typed. Thank you.

6. Collapse Details
    haven't really looked at the 1 inch pre-load vs final spring stack so I learned something new today. Thanks