Thread: Shocks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shocks
    Hello everyone,

Right now I'm trying to see what I can find in the way of (relatively) inexpensive, well preforming shocks for my buggy. My buggy will hopefully weight in the 7-800lb realm, and I'm looking for 9-10" of travel. The buggy is only a single seat and will be driven slowly through tight trails, or very quickly down dirt roads and through sand pits. I might do a bit of minor jumping, but mostly just trails. I'm not trying to win any big races here, just trying to get a comfy ride and still keep up with friends on ATVs and dirt-bikes. I will also mention that I have a 550cc V-twin, 5spd engine if that has anything to do with this.

Anyway, since I'm on a budget (who isn't?) I would like to save a few bucks by picking up some decent, used ATV shocks that can give me the performance I need. Also to save money, I want to get the right shock, the first time. So far the most acceptable shocks I have found are used Fox podium front shocks from a Polaris predator 500. The predator weighs 400lbs, and the shocks have adjustable pre-load, 17.875" eye to eye, and 13.25" fully compressed eye to eye.

I was hoping to use these shocks on all 4 corners (double a-arm suspension everywhere). I was also thinking that the adjustable pre-load could help make up for the weight difference. So what I'm asking here is whether or not you think these shocks will work, and if not what will?

Here are links to the shocks in question, and the atv they come off of.
    2004 POLARIS PREDATOR 500 FRONT DUAL SHOCKS SHOCK FOX RACING SHOX | eBay
    2005 Polaris Predator 500 Reviews, Prices, and Specs

Thanks, Rory
    Slow and steady wins the race, right? I'll get there eventually.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Shocks
    Polaris sled shocks might be better. I run Walker Evans clicker shocks off a polris sled on a 800lb machine. So nice. But it will take you a while to find some under 300 a pair. For another hundred or two you could have new fox 2.0 air's

3. Collapse Details
    But on the flip side those Walkers would cost in the range of 800 for a set new

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You might hit up one of the RZR forums and see if anyone's selling the shocks off of their XP900 - they're nice Fox shocks with adjustable compression. Seems nobody likes them on the XP, but there's no reason they can't be used on something else and they can be revalved w/o any problems.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I'll look into the RZR shocks. Spending $350-$400 on shocks is already more money than I have, So I'm really not interested in spending more. Getting a couple hundred dollars more could easily take over a month for me and I really want to take advantage of the free time I have over the summer.

Thanks for the suggestions though, let me know if y'all have any more. I got several alternatives to the predator shocks, but no one has mentioned any reasons not to get the predator shocks, whats wrong with them? Are they just too light?

6. Collapse Details
    DaveM has experiance with cheap shocks maybe he will speak up.

Also someone just did a build using cheap auto air shocks ,even added an air resivoir,but I forget who it was.

do a search for air shocks,big discussion on the "cheap" ones.
    Last edited by Bullnerd; 06-23-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    I thought about the cheap air shocks, I'm sure they would do the job just fine. If only they looked a little nicer...

I looked into the RZR shocks and I think they would just be too stiff. They are supposed to go on a two seat 1200lb buggy, so I think they would be a bit stiff on a 700lb buggy with all 140lbs of me... I'm trying to avoid messing with new valving and spring sizes. It also sounds like people get rid of them because they overheat.

I think I might keep digging through atv shocks, although I would like to stick with fox if I can.

8. Collapse Details
    If you got any brains in ya you'll watch this like a hawk. I got about 5 buddies running these and we all got them cheap by folks not bidding. They dont get no cheaper and if I was an ass I'd buy em

removed
    Last edited by chuckorlando; 06-25-2012 at 05:55 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Those shocks in the first link do look pretty tempting, I will keep an eye on those for sure. Too bad there are only 2.

Thanks!

10. Collapse Details
    The Racedezert dude said they use Walker shocks on the troffy karts,so they are probably pretty good since they can choose any shock they want.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast