1. Collapse Details
    Do Fox 2.0 Shocks need a bump stop? or limiting strap?
    I'm considering some 16" long travel shocks that would bottom out when my rear end has a few inches of travel, but I see that unlike your typical coil over or ATV shock that there isn't any sort of bump stop, do you have to build one to protect the shock?

I've never used anything other than ATV shocks, so these long travel fox/king types I have no experience with..

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Do Fox 2.0 Shocks need a bump stop? or limiting strap?
    Hi Martin - Buggy weight and unsprung mass seem to be the desermining factors along with intended use. Haven's seen a them on single seat minibuggies with avt style wheels but 16 inches of travel might give you a bit more scope for jumping and even with a single seat light weight this will mean landing with a lot more force.
    Top out with 16 inches of travel and long trailing or a-arms, ie; more than 16 inches of travel, just about have to have, will increase the force that the unsprung mass (wheel, hub, brake, arms and 1/2 of shock weight) tops out at. What this means is an unsprung mass with 8 inches of travel will return to full droop after full compretion (say in the air, after a big hit or jump), at a certain rate of accelleration, for 18 inches of travel that accelleration will continue until top out.
    I'd suggest that limiting straps even with atv wheels will protect your investment and shock shaft type bump stops would limit damage.
    A progressive set up with the shock angled to the centre line of the buggy would have good affect to.
    Thanks Ironknot

3. Collapse Details
    Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes
    I ran the 2.0 air shocks both with and with out springs and never used either straps or bump stops, not one issue with either setup.
    Being pushed to better yourself is never a bad thing.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes

4. Collapse Details
    Bump stops are internal on my Fox 2.0. 2-1/2 years on mine with no limiting straps. No issues either.

5. Collapse Details
    Unless your wanting to limit the supension for CV angle limit, tie rod clearence etc, then I don't feel you need limit straps. The supension is unloaded at full extension and there is not a whole lot of force on the internal stops at that point.

6. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Great question.... But here is to add to the question.

Let's say you have 14 inches if travel on a a-arm. And the shock stops the travel, now it could still move down farther if the shock was longer... Does that need a strap. ( I would day no imo due to the front arm weight not being a lot).... And here is where I need help on the question......

On the rear of my car I have a solid Toyota corrolla axle. And The only thing that stops The axle is the shocks ( I have a 4 link on the rear with over 25 inches of travel and would never ever use that ) too much and would never use that much...
    But the axle weighs (guessing) 50 to 80 pounds with tires and brakes.... Now is that too much for the shock and does it need to be strapped.

What is a acceptable weight with out straps....
    Last edited by Chikin; 06-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks All,

So I found an exploded view of the Fox 2.0 Air shocks here:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/dl/offr...irshock-ex.pdf

Is part #47 labeled as "Air Shock Spring" the bump stop that's taking the hit?

I'll probably do ok without anything extra, but I do have hub mounted brakes and moderately heavy trailing arms. It is chain driven though, so no issue with CV limitations. I was thinking about even going with a 18" travel version just for fun since they cost the same, but I need to do some measuring still to make sure. I just didn't see the usual bump stop you normally see externally and was wondering. I see straps and whatnot for CV limiting, but I wasn't sure if it was also for a shock protection reason.

8. Collapse Details
    #47 is the spring perch for adding a coilover spring. You will not need this. # 46 is the top out spring. All air shocks have these as without them they would be very harsh when they topped out. If you're unsprung weight is low enough you will not need a limit strap. Anything with ATV wheels will fall into this category. Actual bumpstops depends. If you have your shocks set-up right you may never notice not having them. If you want to play Dukes of Hazard all the time, you may need them.

9. Collapse Details
    Ahh, I got it..thanks!

10. Collapse Details
    All 4 of my machines have run way cheaper shocks than fox(cept my walker evans clickers) None have run straps or stops. When I do the fox airs on the rear I plan to go an 2 orin 3 longer than I need and use both straps and stops. I'm doing this as I plan some future mods that will use that extra 2-3in

My concern with out either, would be a blown shock. If it has a stap or strap thats external, and a shock fails or breaks, you may save your axles among other damage. So it's a precaution to me over a need