Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Homemade front hubs?
    Does anyone have any links they can share to threads where people show or explain how they made their own front hubs? I've searched and searched by no luck so far. Plenty of hits on front hubs but not homemade ones. Surely some folks here make their own?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Homemade front hubs?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Exactly what do you want to know about them?

Things to consider:
    Bolt pattern
    Bearing type and availability - tapered roller (burly and for bigger apps) or precision ball
    Bearing can decide on if you run a seal (with tapered roller) or not - a sealed (not shielded) bearing won't need a seal.
    What size axle?
    Running front brakes or not?
    Offset - how far in/out on the bearing tube do you want the flange for the wheel offset?

They're pretty straight forward if you have access to a lathe.

3. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    I love that statement... And I quote.. "IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A LATHE". Man that's the truth. My father is a machinist. And its a huge if I don't get access to. Truth!

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Wikisi, are you after just the hub or the upright as well? Honestly my suggestion is to purchase one from one of the buggy sites, edge, protodie etc and set your uprights with the correct stub axle.

Good luck and enjoy.

5. Collapse Details
    I have a small grizzly lathe.

To answer those questions of yours K-fab is the reason why I wanted to see how others have done it. I would like front brakes because otherwise I will only have one brake on the spool and I doubt one brake has enough stopping power? But I need to see how others did it to see if I can do. Plus the reason I love forums like this is so you can learn from other people's mistakes. Others try stuff and mention what works and what doesn't.

If I had no one to show or tell me how to make my own front hubs, I would have just went to a local waterjet company and have them cut a disc out of 3/8" thick steel plate with whatever bolt pattern I want and a hole for the bearing tube. I would use sealed ball bearings and a 1" axle. I would get grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off and weld them in the bolt pattern holes. Not sure where on the bearing tube I would weld the plate/flange though. Also, not sure how long I would need to keep the bearing tube. I'd probably order the wheels first. I still need to make the uprights as well.

6. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Seen guys use trailer hubs. Modify them for brakes. If buggy is small ATv hubs are the ticket. Brakes wheel pattern calipers all in a nice cheap package. Complete custom

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wikisi View Post
    I have a small grizzly lathe.

To answer those questions of yours K-fab is the reason why I wanted to see how others have done it. I would like front brakes because otherwise I will only have one brake on the spool and I doubt one brake has enough stopping power? But I need to see how others did it to see if I can do. Plus the reason I love forums like this is so you can learn from other people's mistakes. Others try stuff and mention what works and what doesn't.

If I had no one to show or tell me how to make my own front hubs, I would have just went to a local waterjet company and have them cut a disc out of 3/8" thick steel plate with whatever bolt pattern I want and a hole for the bearing tube. I would use sealed ball bearings and a 1" axle. I would get grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off and weld them in the bolt pattern holes. Not sure where on the bearing tube I would weld the plate/flange though. Also, not sure how long I would need to keep the bearing tube. I'd probably order the wheels first. I still need to make the uprights as well.
    I will be more than happy to help you design and make these hubs.

Tonight tho, not so much - I don't feel like thinking. We'll get this started in the next day or so.

Your axle sounds good.
    Brake rotor is WAY too thick - all you need is .250" thick and RickS. can help you do them - we'll get him a DXF file and he'll send you sweet rotors.
    I'd recommend using store bought axle studs - they push through a tolleranced hole and stick very well. They're cheap and work beautifully.

Here is a thread on a car that I started and have since shelved (it may one day become a living breathing beast, but for now, not so much) 2020 - the Pre-Runner

The hubs here are pretty burly compared to what you're wanting to do, but it does show how I went about making them.

I think somewhere in the for sale section there may be some hubs that I offered a while back.

Oh - when I said bearing tube, I meant the section of the hub that the bearings ride in - the tube, if you will, that runs through the hub.

If you have the lathe access, and it appears you do, we can get your hubs done.

Carlriddle also gives great advise. Already made, easy to find on Flea-Bay and easy to work with.

What size ride are you planning on?

8. Collapse Details
    K-when he said tube,I think he meant something like this....Waterjet flange welded to a tube with bearings in it.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    K-when he said tube,I think he meant something like this....Waterjet flange welded to a tube with bearings in it.
    Yup, that's exactly what I meant. In fact, that may even be the very same picture that gave me the idea of making my own hubs. Let me guess, you got the pic from BMIkarts?

So something like that hub but with brakes.

Like so..

Have the flange jetted with a hole for the bearing tube and two bolt patterns, one pattern for the wheel studs and one for the rotor. Press in the wheels studs. Get bolts and cut of the heads and put them in the rotor bolt holes and weld them to the flange. Turn some spacers on the lathe to provide some spacing between the rotor and the flange so I can fit a caliper on the rotor and then find a way to mount the caliper all the while making sure it'll fit inside the 12" Vision rims that I'd like to get. Which means I'll need to get the wheels first to get the measurements before I can make the hubs.

Whatcha think?

10. Collapse Details
    Why do you keep wanting to cut off a bolt and weld it in? Just drill & tap holes where you want the rotor to mount and use bolts.

No, btw, that's not what I was thinking when you say tube - I wouldn't weld the two pieces (tube & flange) together - the entire hub body should be one piece with a radius between the tube and flange to avoid stress risers.

You still haven't said how large of a ride you want to make - that can really determine a lot. If it's a light buggy - say under 1K lbs, then you could even drop down to 3/16 or 1/8 thick rotors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast