Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Heim/rose joint problem
    I am currently using some male 3/4 inch unf heims on my bottom wishbone (shock mounts on bottom wishbone) in the same kind of way as the picture (I borrowed). I have bent a few heims and twice broke it off where the thread meets the main body of the heim joint so I thought I would go to a bigger joint, Only when I get the bigger 1 inch heim joints did I think about the fact that the bigger 1 inch joint has 2 inch's from the top of the thread to the center of the ball where as the 3/4 joint I have been using is only 1.25 inch so Am I any better off with a 1/4 inch bigger diameter shaft if there is extra leaverage on the weak point. I have been using the joints screwed all the way in with a half nut locking them.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Heim/rose joint problem
    You are most likely using cheapo rod ends, use the good ones and you will be fine.

3. Collapse Details
    Now there is a can of worms!!!!!!, If some guy buys a load of cheap heims then sells them on at 5 times the price do they suddenly become better quality?

They are decent quality but my thought is if I use the same but bigger that should help. I have broke 2 this year in about 18 events and they do get hammered.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE1969GB View Post
    Now there is a can of worms!!!!!!, If some guy buys a load of cheap heims then sells them on at 5 times the price do they suddenly become better quality?No, it makes them more expensive cheapo heims, lol

They are decent quality but my thought is if I use the same but bigger that should help. I have broke 2 this year in about 18 events and they do get hammered.

What kind of heims are you using? I have a 1600 pound rail and both myself, and some of my customers, do massive jumping and I have never broken a heim.

Second vote for cheapo rod ends. The fact that you may have paid 5 times more than what they should have been sold for is irrelevant...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    Bang for buck FK rod ends are very good. Never use anything that looks and is refered to a mohawk. Also never use anything with a injected molded race, both junk. If your useing a 3/4 size on both ends try a jmx12t. Personally I use a 7/8x3/4 on the bottom a-arm of my cars. FK has a brand and model interchange in the back of their catalog.

6. Collapse Details
    Like I said a can of worms! They do have injection moulded race but that has never been an issue, there are 36 of these heims on my buggy and it has had 3 years af very hard use, not just talking big jumps, hitting big ditches and very rough terrain at speed often in very wet and sandy conditions, the only issue I have had is them going tight in wet sand when they were new. most of them are still in use and the ones I have replaced have been replace because of crash damage, apart from the ones this thread is about.

I have not paid 5 times the price, I am saying no doubt there are people out there who would inflate the price so that people will think they most be good quality because they are expensive.

My buggy weighs around 2100 pounds so maybe 3/4 inch is a bit on the small side but I would rather pay a lot less but put a slightly bigger and slightly more weight heim.

I am in the UK and choice of heim is very restricted compared to whats on offer over your side of the pond.

7. Collapse Details
    How are they bending? From over angling them from steering or just bottoming the suspension out?

I have seen full size 4 seater sand rails with 3/4" bottom hiems without issues till some runs it into something with the wheel turned. Steering stops will fix that.

Aurora also makes very good hiems, But I pretty much agree with everything Monte posted up. No mohawks or injection molded units.........

8. Collapse Details
    If you are racing so much, it is normal that the rod ends are wearing and even breaking. When you thread rod ends in a-arms like shown in the picture, the threads are loaded in bending. It creates a stress concentration and will fatigue and break the rod end faster. People get way with it because they oversize their rodends. My suggestion would be to re-design your a-arm connections to the upright using either ball joints or ball bearings.

Something like that
    http://otomotif.sportku.com/uploads/...1136345771.jpg

Do you see any OEM car manufacturers with rodends at the upright connections?

9. Collapse Details
    I have been lurking for awhile watching what you guys are doing as we are building for the larger KOH buggies. There is a ton of stress on brakeing and will work on those heims in shear. I agree with the uni-balls or ball joints. My first try at front four links in a Jeep in the 70's, pulled the hoops out of the top links due to brake forces. Big scrub might make it worse also. Hmmm, maybe you don't use front brakes,,,Sorry.

10. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Quote Originally Posted by jeiB View Post

Do you see any OEM car manufacturers with rodends at the upright connections?

Maybe so... but do you see OEM cars using maximum travel with the suspension?
    Or even coming close to using half of the travel it has stock.

And there is no OEM car that has the ratings for jumping or shock rebound, droop and or other things you would want in a buggy. Kind of a mute question. Apples and Oranges if you ask me (No offense when I say that... or not intended to offend)

Look at the cars with hydrolics... I used to make them. Hop a 3000 pound car 40 inches off the ground. Clearly you would get stock ball joints to fail all the time. I used to carry 2 spares so I could fix it ad drive home.
    Last edited by Chikin; 11-12-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast