1. Collapse Details
    Light Weight woods buggy rear suspension( first time builder)
    I am gearing up for my first buggy build and have been lurking here for a while sucking up alot of good info. But I would like input on the best rear suspension set up for my application. I am looking to build a 2 seat woods buggy

Aproximate measurements
    65" overall width max
    75''-80'' wheelbase
    25'' tires
    13'' ground clearance
    10'' or more wheel travel
    50 -75 hp
    under 700 lbs is the goal

With this in mind i would like to keep the weight low as possible(obviously) so i dont offset the low hp with a ton of weight. I like the thought of IRS however alot the builds i see are using car parts, witch correct me if i am wrong make for a heavy setup. Another option i saw was the indepent arms with chains running to each arm from a jackshaft. Will this type of setup live with roughly 75hp engine?

Or do you think the simplictiy of a solid swing arm is best for this application?

I would like to keep any custom parts to the absolute minumum because my only access to a machince shop is a relatives shop 100 miles away.

Looking for anybodys take on this? all input is greatly apprectiated

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Light Weight woods buggy rear suspension( first time builder)
    Hey man welcome to the site. Im building one as well, Im under 60" for atv trails. Im using VW parts for the rear drive. and its not to heavy. Have you checked out the Shredder 2 plans, they are a good set of plans for a small 2 seater. I started using these plans and decided to modify them quite a bit.
    Been on Hiatus but now Im back!!!!

3. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I would agree with dirtreaper that your specs resemble the Shredder II.

The Shredder II plans are designed around a jackshaft/dual-chain setup as you suggest, but the sprockets and chain are #40. That won't hold up to 70hp. It would be fairly easy to change the setup to #520 or #530 chains. That setup wouldn't have any problem with your horsepower and I'm sure that Scott at ubuilditplans has already been down this path.

Alternately, you can use a center carrier and CV axles as dirtreaper has suggested. I don't think the weight differential between dual-chains and CV axles is enough to favor one over the other. I think it is mostly a build preference.

I started out fussing with off-road gokarts, so a dual-chain setup was a logical extension of my previous experience. I built my current single-seater with dual-chains and I'm pretty happy with the result. On the other hand, my current two-seater build will use CV axles. I wanted to try a CV setup so I can compare the two from a build and maintenance standpoint.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtreaper View Post
    Hey man welcome to the site. Im building one as well, Im under 60" for atv trails. Im using VW parts for the rear drive. and its not to heavy. Have you checked out the Shredder 2 plans, they are a good set of plans for a small 2 seater. I started using these plans and decided to modify them quite a bit.
    I found those plans and they look like a good starting point. I am ordering the plans as we speak. Would you mind elobrating on using VW parts on this design. Like what parts exactly are you using? What kind of suspension are you planning on using?

5. Collapse Details
    I have changed the front end to round tube 1" 120 wall dom, I am using banshee spindles so my wife can have front brakes, I have also changed the rear end to cv's and irs, eliminating the dual jackshaft design. I am using a Polaris indy 500 2 stroke as a power plant. I designed my rear drive to use the type 2 cv axles from a VW jetta, I machined down the front spindle to the bearing carrier alone. I machine down the hub to give me a shoulder to weld on, and laser cut a new mount so I can have a 4x156 bolt pattern to match the front. I used the vw front short side shafts as they are more than capable of handling the HP from the 500. I also bought a used tranny from a jetta and removed the diff and tranny cups. I pulled the small shafts out of the diff and cut them so I can use the splines to fit the cups. I welded the splined pieces to a shaft and made a bearing carrier out of a piece of tube, machined for bearings, to make a rear carrier. For FNR I am using the chain case from the sled and with a hex bore hub and #50 sprocket I have the driveline. My set up is simillar to Stompers and TEO's. I am a fox dealer in Canada so I am using Fox Shox. Anything else you need to know please feel free to ask me.
    Last edited by dirtreaper; 05-04-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: grammar....lol
    Been on Hiatus but now Im back!!!!