Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Suspension Questions
    Make sure your caster is adjustable as well, whether it is shims, a heim, whatever. You will want to play with it.

Rake seems to be a mixed subject, my current car has j arms, which induce a backwards motion similar to what rake would do. I dont think TT's use rake, but big tires help in any situation (besides the weight penalty)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Great question. You will get SO many different answers on this.

Here is my thought on your questions.
    Caster. I think 5* to 7* at the upright is what I would shoot for.
    Camber. At ride height maybe 1/2* of negative? Full bump maybe 5*-8* full droop near zero.
    Toe. I run 1/8" toe in. This is on 28" tires. The less toe change throughout the suspension travel the less bump steer you will get. I think I am at 1/2" the last 2" of suspension travel into full bump.

One thing I will add into the mix is rake. Rake is viewed from the side. The suspension mounting points are raked up at maybe 5 to 6* Your suspension travel will go up and back at the same time.

Justin
    Hey Justin, In regards to your comment about rake and caster - You mentioned 5 to 7* of caster at the upright and maybe 5 to 6* of rake. How are you measuring this...I know this is always a debate. After you have your rake set, then are you measuring your caster at the upright? 5* raked back and 1* comes from the upper a arm slid backward to make say 6* of total caster (say if you put a angle finder on the upright?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Linden1234321 View Post
    Hey Justin, In regards to your comment about rake and caster - You mentioned 5 to 7* of caster at the upright and maybe 5 to 6* of rake. How are you measuring this...I know this is always a debate. After you have your rake set, then are you measuring your caster at the upright? 5* raked back and 1* comes from the upper a arm slid backward to make say 6* of total caster (say if you put a angle finder on the upright?)

GREAT question. In regards to rake, this would be be measured if your chassis is parallel with the ground and the suspension mounting points are at an upward angle. I will get some photos for reference tonight.
    In regards to caster, you are correct. An angle finder will show you the castor. Keep in mind that the rake angle and castor are 2 separate calculations and you don't add the 2 together. Basically if the lower arms are at a 5* rake, the upper arms will also be at a 5* rake. Now there are other factors such as anti dive and all of that, but that is way above my head. HAA! I am a HUGE fan of the front end geometry of my car, which is an AR-51. Castor, camber and toe are all fully adjustable.
    Nowhere near the desert.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    GREAT question. In regards to rake, this would be be measured if your chassis is parallel with the ground and the suspension mounting points are at an upward angle. I will get some photos for reference tonight.
    In regards to caster, you are correct. An angle finder will show you the castor. Keep in mind that the rake angle and castor are 2 separate calculations and you don't add the 2 together. Basically if the lower arms are at a 5* rake, the upper arms will also be at a 5* rake. Now there are other factors such as anti dive and all of that, but that is way above my head. HAA! I am a HUGE fan of the front end geometry of my car, which is an AR-51. Castor, camber and toe are all fully adjustable.
    Sure, if you had a few photos of your car for reference that would be sweet!

So if you have 5* of rake and keep your arms parallel to each other, throw an angle finder on the upright you will have 5* on the angle finder. Thus you can say you have 5* of caster as a result of your 5* of rake? You are shooting for about 5-7* at the upright correct?

Thanks again Justin!

5. Collapse Details
    Not to hijack this thread or anything, but under what circumstances to you want camber? I'm strictly speaking from an offroad buggy perspective. When you turn the buggy really hard the suspension is going to compress slightly and the thing is going to want to roll towards the outside. When the suspension is squatting do you want positive or negative camber? My thoughts are at full bump you would want positive camber to really put as much force of the vehicle to the outside but maybe not?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4