Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Suspension Questions
    Can't you have 10 deg. of rake and 5 deg. of caster?

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, you can have more rake than caster. If you had 10* rake and 5* postive caster (meaning additional offset from top spindle from bottom spindle) you would have a total of 15* caster.

Think of it this way: If you had zero rake there would be -5* caster. If you want to have 10 degrees of rake and end up with 5* caster then you start with -5 caster and add 10 degrees rake and end up with +5* caster.

Caster is the spindle perpindicular to the ground, looking at the car from the side. If there is zero caster then it is 90* to the ground. If there is 6* caster then it is 96* to the ground. That's 6* positive caster.

3. Collapse Details
    Maybe this will help Attachment 17429

4. Collapse Details
    With 5* of caster the spindle is 15* from the hinge of the a arm or its rake, but you still only have 5* of caster. I don't think that caster has no bearing to rake.

5. Collapse Details
    Guys, You always measure from the ground, if you have 50 degrees of rake you can have 5 degrees of caster... If you have 0 caster built on the frame and then rake it 10 degrees, you automatically just added 10 degrees of caster, If you have no components on the chassis, and you rake it 10 degrees, you build what ever you want for caster afterwards, just have to measure from the ground, the same place you measured the 10 degrees for the rake...

6. Collapse Details
    I know I posted this somewhere before, but can't find it now.

Evan is correct, Rake and Caster are NOT dependent on each other. You can have any amount of rake and any amount of caster. Rake does not mean just take the a-arm assembly and rotate it back. It just means that each arm is angled some amount from horizontal. As his drawing shows, the upper arm can just translate straight up instead of moving back as well.

7. Collapse Details
    left diagram, 0 rake, 0 caster, center diagram, rotated "raked 10" degrees with spindle, 10 degrees of caster/rake, right diagram, raked 10 degrees, spindle rotated back to 0. 10 degrees rake, 0 caster...

8. Collapse Details
    I think the moral of the story here is, if you rake a car 10 degrees, and build square off the chassis rails, you then got 10 degrees of caster...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugpac View Post
    left diagram, 0 rake, 0 caster, center diagram, rotated "raked 10" degrees with spindle, 10 degrees of caster/rake, right diagram, raked 10 degrees, spindle rotated back to 0. 10 degrees rake, 0 caster...
    Yes. Good illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugpac View Post
    I think the moral of the story here is, if you rake a car 10 degrees, and build square off the chassis rails, you then got 10 degrees of caster...
    I suppose, but I think the real moral of the story is building square off the chassis rails does not make sense. Set the rake angle where you want, then position the a-arm mounts to give desired caster. This is how I built all the cars I worked on, never even considered doing it any other way...it's not any more difficult to do.

10. Collapse Details
    Absolutely. The upper and lower arms are never the same. Usually the lower mounts the spring/shock and has greater stresses induced. Because the upper and lower have to be built seperate, I usually put the inner mounts where they make the most sense structurally instead of trying to keep them in line vertically or inclined.
    I strongly recommend before building anything full scale, start playing with a 3d model. Even coat hangers with loops bent in cut sections can be used. Any thing that you can actually see what happens when mounts and lengths are changed. Front end geometry is very complicated. Without playing with something physical, its hard to grasp. So many people read some basics and miss understand / over look major aspects. Better to find these issues before your frame is built.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast