Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    rear hub bearing carrier
    Would it be possible to use tapered roller bearings(like the bearings used for trailer hubs)to make a rear hub bearing carrier. Machine out a tube on each end to accept the cone of the bearings, and an area for a seal to be pressed in on each end. Drop in the bearings,Tighten up the axle nut to the proper torque and be good to go. Hope this makes sence! Would this work or not?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: rear hub bearing carrier
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Not only is it possible, but it's probably the best way to do it. Perfect bearing for the application.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

3. Collapse Details
    Most heavy stuff likes the taperd roller bearing as it has a MUCH higher load carrying capacity than a ball roller bearing of the same size.

You do pay a small drag penalty for a roller VS a ball though.

Be careful on the torque of the nut you tighten on these bearings.

On a front spindle of a rear wheel drive car the spindle is solid and the nut actually puts a slight preload to the bearings.

A SLIGHT preload!

If you tighten it to tight it will create a lot of drag and can make the bearings run hot and even fail early. To loose will allow slop you don't want either.

On the rear where the axle will be spinning in the bearing the axle part should have a spacer or some sort of flange on the axle itself to control the amount of squeeze on the roller bearings.

You may know this but if not it would be easy to build a rear hub that someone torques the hub nut to a couple hundred FT pounds and the roller bearings would fail quick!

Ball bearings tend to have a precision spacer in between them and this carries the compression load. Some apps for rollers use a spacer to and some have it built into the axle part as mentioned above.

Just make sure you get them loaded the right amount.
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 10-29-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spullin
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    Would it be possible to use tapered roller bearings(like the bearings used for trailer hubs)to make a rear hub bearing carrier. Machine out a tube on each end to accept the cone of the bearings, and an area for a seal to be pressed in on each end. Drop in the bearings,Tighten up the axle nut to the proper torque and be good to go. Hope this makes sence! Would this work or not?
    Are you talking about using the trailer axle to drive the hub?

5. Collapse Details
    You can also use a wheel bearing out of the front of a front wheel drive car that is basically two tapered roller bearings with one combined outer race and sealed. A common one is a Timken Set 35 out of a VW Rabbit among other cars. The inner races are sized to set the proper pre-load.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
    You can also use a wheel bearing out of the front of a front wheel drive car that is basically two tapered roller bearings with one combined outer race and sealed. A common one is a Timken Set 35 out of a VW Rabbit among other cars. The inner races are sized to set the proper pre-load.
    A much better idea. I think the Rabbit hub has a bolt patter that matches ATV rims. 4 on 110mm if I remember correctly?

7. Collapse Details
    I would agree that the rabbit type one piece bearing would be eaiser to use if you can mkae it work in your situation.

I do wonder how it would deal with offset loads though? The rabbit rim comes back around and offsets inward right over the center of the bearing.

I know most buggies using it will wiegh far less but offsetting to far to the outside cause a problem maybe????

You now anyone using them with a buggy and offset rims Livewire?
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have all the parts and I bought a stub axle and hub from Doug Heim earlier this spring. Just haven't had time to work on it. I will take some pictures of what I mean and post them. Just to give a better idea of what i mean.

9. Collapse Details
    here are the pictures.There is a seal that will ride on the hub then the tapered bearing, and on the other side, the seal that rides on the axle stub and then the other taper bearing. I will machie out a tube to press fit the bearing cones and the seal on each end. Does this look like a good set up?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
    I would agree that the rabbit type one piece bearing would be eaiser to use if you can mkae it work in your situation.

I do wonder how it would deal with offset loads though? The rabbit rim comes back around and offsets inward right over the center of the bearing.

I know most buggies using it will wiegh far less but offsetting to far to the outside cause a problem maybe????

You now anyone using them with a buggy and offset rims Livewire?
    The original idea for this came out in the 80's with stadium cars. In about 99% of cars and trucks the stock rim wraps around the hub to center the rubber on the bearings. Even quads do the same thing. Then quad guys will reverse the rims to get a wider foot print. My truck wheels have a different off set than stock just about all VW off-road aftermarket rims off set to the outside. Talked to the engineer working for Foddrill we agreed with you but the industry does not agree with us. I know I'm not Livewire but thought I would contribute this.

The question now is: Would one be able to torque the axle nut enough to hold the driven hub without compressing the tapered bearings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast