Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A dumb Noob question whats Akerman
    What is akerman? I see it in post, I think it is something to do with the front end.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: A dumb Noob question
    RcTek - Radio Controlled Model Car Handling Main Section Page

That link will show you a lot. Go to it and click anything thats clickable.

You can see the ackerman part about the third thing down. It willshow you all you should need to know about it. If not ask what you do not understand after looking at the site. Its great for showing with pics VS trying to talk it out.

The site is for RC and onroad but it applies to offroad and buggies as well. Just differently as in longer arms differently.

(Note: Some people argue dirt is different than pavement and it is so the two are not the same but thats not true.)
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    wow, you learn something new every day. i'll be sure to incorporate this into my buggy build (oh no, more 3d modelling mayhem to come). it does make a lot of sense though.

this is one thing that would make or break your buggy's handling and i agree with you, dont listen to the people who say dirt and asphalt aren't the same. i'd say with the reduced grip and increased chance of sliding, it's just as, if not more important, that you use this principle when designing a buggy. i guess running parallel steering is the same as having no diff on the back end in a way.

the thing that most amazes me though, is that the rc guys take their hobby so seriously that they actually use the same principles as their full size big brothers. i thought things such as camber,castor and toe in wouldn't even be noticed in a rc scale car.

4. Collapse Details
    Stevo if you ever wanna see something cool tape a off road RC car/truck in action up pretty close with a good quality camera then watch it in slow motion. It will surprise you how much the suspension actually moves on them!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    I think that dirt is different then pavement. Any buggy with a soft suspension when going into a corner put more weight on the out side tire. With ackermann that tire is at a less angle then a buggy with no ackermann.

6. Collapse Details
    That may be true if you're going to cut the wheels to full lock.
    But you probably won't be doing that. Unless you're trying to make a tight turn at slow speed. In which case you will want ackerman.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnbolt2002 View Post
    I think that dirt is different then pavement. Any buggy with a soft suspension when going into a corner put more weight on the out side tire. With ackermann that tire is at a less angle then a buggy with no ackermann.

Any thing with four wheels will put more weight on the outside tire(s) in a turn.

As for the angle the outside tire IS turned its not determined by ackerman so much as the steering (Rack or box or ?) and other parts that allow it to turn so far (Hiems or ball joints).

At a slow speed or jamming the brakes going into a corner the weight transfer to the front will make a ackermam machine steer better.

At high speed the inside front has so little weight it is not such a concern as the outside tire is doing 90% of the work.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS. View Post
    That may be true if you're going to cut the wheels to full lock.
    But you probably won't be doing that. Unless you're trying to make a tight turn at slow speed. In which case you will want ackerman.

It doesn't mater how fast you go into a corner the out side tire with actermann will always be at a less angle to the inner. So the steering doesn't have to be at lock. I agree with you that at slow speed like around the pits ackermann will be better.

9. Collapse Details
    Forget about the inner. The outside tire is doing the work and if it's not at full lock then ackerman can't possibly hinder the turn. As long as you are not at full lock you can always cut the wheel more.
    The only time what you say will come into play is if the wheels are at full lock. The only time I ever cut to full lock is is when I'm trying to manuver in a tight spot a slow speed.
    Last edited by RickS.; 11-23-2009 at 08:53 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Yep, you're right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast