Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quick question about trailing arms
    Hey everybody. I had a quick question about trailing arms. I currently am using swing arms with two pivots where it attaches to the bottom of the main frame via heim joints (just copying other buggys I have seen on the web).

My question is that when I tacked the trailing arm together they swing up and down nicely with the correct toe angle but the camber still wobbles back and forth due to the heim joints. Is this normal? And if so how does this get corrected? When attaching the shocks, does it stabilize the camber? If for some reason my question does not make sense be sure to let me know and I will try and restate it.

My setup is very similar to the one shown in the attached photo. So to sum up, basically there is play in the camber because of the heim joints and I am trying figure out how this is adjusted/fixed. I have only done the two bottom pieces of the arm. Could it be moving camber wise because I haven't finishing boxing the arms yet?

Sorry for the question but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I continue welding the arms..

Thank you,

Andy-
    -----
    Current built in progress: cbr600 f4 powered custom mini buggy
    Last edited by andy777bmx; 01-22-2009 at 03:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Quick question about trailing arms
    When the inner mount is placed back further you get camber gain, if they are inline you wont have any...

3. Collapse Details
    It is not that it has caber gain right now...

If I grab the rear stub holder, I can physically rotate it back and forth 1/4" or so. So there is actually play in it right now and I can see the heim joits rotatinig when I do this. I'm thinking it might have play because I only tack welded he bottom two pieces on there but I was curious if anyonne knows for sure why it may be doing this.

Thanks,

Andy-

4. Collapse Details
    Here is a pic I tried to add to show you what I would do.
    The heims can move the way you have it now mostly as you said just because
    of it not being fully welded but it will always be a weakness and under pressure and turns you can still move it.

I would add the bracing I drew in and that should solve your problem and hold
    your arms together and stop them from moving.

Good luck.
    On a side note the arms tubing themselves seem like they are made from pretty small
    tubing? What size? Hopefully it is a very light car or it is just the photo so ignore this if it
    is fine. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by TutTech; 01-22-2009 at 04:00 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    A picture of yours will be better than one thats similair to yours. Any chance you can snap a few of yours from a few different angles?

That picture you posted appears to be Desert Karts Panther rear end. If not its sure similiar. Is that what your doing? I may have somethign you might wish to look at if so.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    I will try to take some pictures in the near future by I don't have my camera right now...

I don't have the desert kart or any other plans, but I have been making my own custom buggy based off of pictures of the panther kart. The swing arm setup I am doing is pretty much exactly as the one posted in that picture. That picture was found at this link: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2700582030086613863mUBVFa however my setup is pretty much the same.

Do you have something that may hep? I am open for all help and suggestions.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Andy-

7. Collapse Details
    The guy Who made these made several Panthers and he kept bending the rear trailing arms as they were shown to be made in the plans. He said they were eaiser to make this way and a lot stronger. Before they made them this way they had bent quite a few arms. Scince making them this way they had no problems.

The tube he used is 3/4 x 1 1/2 .095 rec tube. You could go a tad differrent and maybe thicker if you felt a need.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    I would not just put a piece of flat metal where the shock mount goes. I think he as well made a brace under the flat part that goes down the inside of the arms straight underneath the flat part. Gives it a good "gusset" for strength. Gives the shock mount some integrity.

9. Collapse Details
    Andy the drawing that Tut added will help. from the pic you posted it may just be flexing within itself. I have used heims at both pick up points on trailing arms before and they worked fine. definatly beef up the arm from what that pic shows other wise it could be a long tow back to camp. here is a few pics of arms that we made and how they were braced

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the help and pics guys. My main question was if heim joints for pivoting causes a loose camber, but from hearing that it works fine, I am sure I just need to finish bracing/boxing up the arms and hopefully that should work. If anyone thinks differently, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Andy-
    Last edited by andy777bmx; 01-22-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast