Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Ford powered ST4 based buggy
    Best is a puller setup, seal the edge of shroud where it mates with rad and mount fan/ fans as tight to shroud as possible, personally I like bike fans, very compact.

2. Collapse Details
    the shroud and fan that come with is setup to be a puller but since I'm mounting it backwards it will be a pusher, if its not to much work I'd like to switch it but I might get lazy

got all 8 control arms tacked up and mounted up, everything seems fine, the axles work fine in the rear, I have about 15 inches of travel in the rear with the cv, my droop will be a bit limited but it should be ok

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Could ya share some info on the 012 trans? Which yr are you using? Diff yr had diff flanges and diff model of trans had different diff ratios.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes mine is out of a 1999 passat with a 1.8T, that makes it a DVX. The DVX has 108mm output flanges (same as 930 cv's). The junkyard I went to had 2 DVX's the first they pulled was an 01 an it did not have the 108mm flanges it had the not round style. as far as gear ratios go I have found conflicting information, all versions for the 1.8T have the same ratios for 4th and 5th and a 3.7 final drive. the EHV (01-02?) is supposed to have a bit lower gearing 1-3 but does not have the 108mm output flanges. I have also found that the DVX is supposed to have the better lower gears and a better final drive ratio of 3.89, so I can not confirm any gearing as I have not taken mine apart and don't really plan to until it breaks.
    I did a bad job of documenting my research which sucks but a few facts I have are DVX has a 90mm diff which I guess is larger than other ones, units built after 1-11-99 have the stronger diff and pinion bearings. I can also not confirm that once you have a set of output flanges you want if they can be switched to other versions in the future to take advantage of different gearing or a readily available replacement that originally had different flanges

5. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4...os_capacities/

Some good info her on them, maybe lol. Some had diff ratio's into the 4's and I wondered on stronger models and swap output flanges too. Thanks!

6. Collapse Details
    Yep i have screenshots from there in my research, I assume the info from there is correct but I've seen so much its hard to tell, it the end I just went for the one with the right output flanges, when/if it breaks maybe ill try another one since I have the flanges and I'll see if they swap

7. Collapse Details
    dangeranger93, carl riddle told me about this build. i currently run a turbo 2.3 in mine. i have a megasand 3 speed trans that is claimed to be geared 4.43, 1st 2.21 2nd 1.67 3rd 1.30. it is not, looks like it's actually got a 4.28 r&p in it and there are no more r&p's available as transform used a bastard gear set for there builds. i know that your 2.5 duratec has a slightly longer stroke ( i bet it's the same bore) and a quad valve aluminum head. i do not know how it compares for off boost tq to my 2.3. i can tell you that the turbo 2.3, stock, was 8:1 c/r with an iron 8 valve head and the factory head only flowed a rated 150 cfm. so mine has been bored .020 over with forged flat top cp pistons and crower rods. i used an n/a D port head and machined the c/c to match the shape of the turbo head. still a smaller c/c so i was able to raise c/r 1 full point to 9:1 which is i why i run e85. i converted to cas system ( cam angle sensor) rather than the distributor. i run the pimp xs ecu ( ms3) and 1300 cc inj's. now in doing so i am able to go full seq inj and spark using LS coils. the motor is balanced and head mildly ported with proper valves and springs etc etc. i run a turbonetics turbo and the data log from my last run at the LS dunes in oklahoma shows i am peaking at 29 psi boost. i am telling you this so you have some idea of what you will need for gearing. i run sport tire of america 14.50 paddles and weigh real close to 1620 lbs wet. with a final drive of 1st 9.45 2nd 7.39 3rd 5.75 ( i still think my gears are higher but this is what i was told should be in there) i think mine are higher as it takes the same throttle input and rpm to take off in my 1st as it does in 3rd for the other 3. i can tell you that my 1st is waaaaay to high, way to high. i have to rev it about 3k rpm and damn near side step the clutch to take of in dry deep sand. so i know 3 other rails with turbo 2.3's. i have driven all 3 and they have stu 1300 paddles with 2 of them running 1300 plus stu paddles ( wider than standard 1300) one has final drives 1st 14.61 2nd 9.8 3rd 7.39 and 4th 5.75. that is with a 4.43 r&p 2nd one has a 4.86 r&p with same gears and the other a 4.57 r&p. 1st is really deep but great for loading and deep sand take offs climbing. on flat ground int he sand they can take off like a normal rail in 2nd gear.

so i tell you this so that you can take the gear ranges listed the trans you chose and go from there. once i build boost i have the tq to pull away and run infact taking off i'm geared to high but by 10 psi i blow through the gear and hit 29 psi so fast its insane and not in a good way! waaay to high a ground speed so it's not fun which is why i have been looking at a mendi 2d trans with the gears i need. $7500 is a hard one to swallow but the only way to get a trans to take it that can be re geared and repaired plus i think i may turn it up another 100 hp with a bo port stage 3 head and 2.1 cam! i look forward to following this build, looks great so far!

8. Collapse Details
    i should prob add that stoa 14.50 #2 cut paddle tire is claimed 31" tall but in reality on a 12" wide rim with 8psi and the weight of the rail sitting on it ( no passengers) it measure 29" tall. i had a turbo busa at 7 psi before and between the counter shaft sprocket and rear my final drive was 5.38 running those piss poor chickity china 1100 paddle tires, it wasn't geared deep enough to pull choke cherry at st a idaho. now the rail weighed 1380 lbs wet which was about 450 lbs heavier than normal as i built the whole frame out of 1.25" od .120 dom tube. i had 2k feet of it so figured why not lol well i learned why not!thumbnail_IMG_20171103_182024.jpg
    Last edited by dsrace; 11-09-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: pic

9. Collapse Details
    I'll compare those numbers when I'm by my computer. I know all about the old lima 2.3 my old ranger had a turbo setup in it for years and went through multiple phases the duratec 2.5 has an 89mm bore and 94 i think mm stroke, stroke im not positive on, i do know the 2.5 head stock flows similar to the esslinger aluminum lima head. I have a 2.3 duratec turbo in my new ranger and it has more power everywhere at 11 psi than a built lima ever did at 20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10. Collapse Details
    based on that link looks like yours will have a 1st 12.95 ( good ) 2nd 7.83 ( better wind 1st up hard!) 3rd 4.81 ( better be hard into the boost!) that 3rd will be some high ground speeds unless your running a short tire. this is just my opinion based on 4 diff rails, roughly the same weight and roughly the same paddle tire with turbo 2.3's and i know that you know a little something about those motors if your into turbo rangers!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast