Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Ford powered ST4 based buggy
    There is another similar build on here and they went subaru, thats probably what you were thinking. this was the only option I could find at the time. I have since found a subaru adapter for my engine but I dont see myself converting

2. Collapse Details
    i have met and rode with 2 guys that are running the subaru trans. i like the location of the cv's, gear stack and r&p's are available but not a lot cheaper than 091's, 2d's etc etc but apperantly those trans aren't rated for turbo engines offroad in stock form. i sent an email to that company and asked which subaru trans would be the strongest to start with? i never recieved a response. it would be nice to know which model trans were better suited to be built for offroad. i have heard the hp claims for use in the car/on road but thats not the same off offroad.
    Last edited by dsrace; 10-10-2019 at 04:36 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    That's my issue I haven't found any aftermarket parts, but the trans is $100 at junkyards all day

4. Collapse Details
    i have read several state the 6 speed sti trans is good for 600 hp street. not to bad at the salvage yards as far as cost goes. again i have yet to hear or read any results on offroad. wouldn't need 6 gears but could see myself using 5. the gearing on the 6 speed looks good with a 4.86 r&p so good there. looks like those can be tore down and re assembled with 2 special tools plus everyday tools with out special jigs. i could see using one if someone had some info on what they were capable of especially for offroad. not real hopeful lol

5. Collapse Details
    Well dang if that's the case, I know the 2.3L Limas are popular with some dirt track Sprint teams and they can be made to have stupid levels of horsepower and rev at 8k rpm all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6h9auhMPQ

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    Well dang if that's the case, I know the 2.3L Limas are popular with some dirt track Sprint teams and they can be made to have stupid levels of horsepower and rev at 8k rpm all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6h9auhMPQ
    i have not watched the video yet, i am also familiar with the lima 2.3. i currently run one in my rail. the 2 i know running the suby trans are out of older n/a models if i remember right and not rated for much over 200 hp. i see your sig line says lincoln.....i live 20 miles north of town.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm very familiar with the 2.3 lima. I have switched away from it for the 4 cylinder duratec family instead, the lima requires deep pockets to get anything comparable to a stock duratec. not to mention the lima weighs about twice as much as a duratec haha

8. Collapse Details
    yep.....the motor is close to 400 lbs and the duratec has a much better flowing head. quad valve vs 2 plus better flow makes a diff let alone a few other differences. to run 8k rpm in the lima, gets expensive but, built right they are reliable little motors! take a beating and keep going.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19