Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: 07GSXR600 ST4 BUILD
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Wow!
    Already looks like you've been to the laser guy. Nice!

What size heims do the plans call for?
    There are a few thoughts on them. PTFE lined work well, especially in a lighter buggy. They're less prone to squeaking and such and can handle a bit more abuse. They're also a bit more pricey. Teflon lined work well too but after a while, especially if you play in wet/muddy conditions, the liner squishes out and they get sloppy.

This is is one of those things like shocks where you get what you pay for and it's worth it.

Speaking of shocks, look into Fox. Contact Protodie here on the site for a set.

yup!, but I'm missing a piece, but thats not a big problem. They call for a 5/8th in. bore heim and a tube adapter that fits into a 1"x.083" tube. Thanks for the info about the liners! I got the bottom frame welded up and the rest of the square tubing cut, unless i missed something. In one of the photos you can see a tube bender, or "knicker" any tips on making that work better. thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I like to use aurora's jmx-t series, half inch would be jmx8t, and so on, left hand is jmxl8t. Make sure it has the t on the end. There are cheaper ones out there without the liner.

The Teflon liner on the auroras hold up much better than the injection molded type. They are more expensive, but I was replacing the molded type every two years, and that was living with a serious squeak for a year.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    I am documenting my build too. I worked on it last winter and have started back at it...and I already forget all the heims and stuff I've used!

I would even list your part numbers for future reference...that's what I need to do.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MASCMAN View Post
    I am documenting my build too. I worked on it last winter and have started back at it...and I already forget all the heims and stuff I've used!

I would even list your part numbers for future reference...that's what I need to do.

Ive been taking pictures/screenshots of the parts. ill start writing down the part #s also.

- im gonna stray away from the plans a bit by not doing any of the machined items. for the front spindle assembly i think I'm gonna use this. at its roundest point its 1.25" which fits perfectly in the spindle cradle (if thats what its even called). I've seen others use these on some builds with success. a guy, used a similar idea on an ST2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Dexter-Tra...RVhb6l&vxp=mtr

- As for heims, i found these, look very promisisng...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panhard-Bar-...hTdiBo&vxp=mtr

- Again I'm open to any criticsm and if anyone knows where i can get GRADE 8 BOLTS (and what components need them) i would be very thankful. also please spread word of this thread around

5. Collapse Details
    I used quad spindles and welded the snout to my fabbed spindle which allowed me to use the brake discs and calipers from the quad...made that part simple for me.

6. Collapse Details
    A possibly even easier option for front spindles is is using rear stub axles for a 96 vw golf, about $30 per side at advance, it even has the bolt holes for the brake caliper built in so it makes front brakes easy as well. just weld or bolt the stub onto the stock st4 spindle and good to go.
    I saw another member, binze i think his username is, do this on his st4 this is a picture he posted

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dangeranger93 View Post
    A possibly even easier option for front spindles is is using rear stub axles for a 96 vw golf, about $30 per side at advance, it even has the bolt holes for the brake caliper built in so it makes front brakes easy as well. just weld or bolt the stub onto the stock st4 spindle and good to go.
    I saw another member, binze i think his username is, do this on his st4 this is a picture he posted
    oh i remember seeing that on his build thread, if i did that i would need to pick parts from 2 cars, 96 vw golf and a 00 vw passat (passat is for rear end. I'm doing something Cklemen did on his... if thats how you spell his name) . or are those parts compatible? i found these on eBay for 60$ each, when i go to the auto yard will these be on the car or is this only something you can purchase. anyone know of a good auto yard in Washington.

8. Collapse Details
    can you elaborate on your rear plans using passat parts? as far as the stuff I mentioned if you go to a yard everything you need for your front spindles will be on the rear of the car, or you can buy new, stub axles are $30 each at advance auto parts, rotors can be as low as $13 each on rock auto, a wheel bearing kit is $20 per side on rock auto, calipers are the expensive part at about $80 each. so new isn't to pricy but buying used would save some cash

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dangeranger93 View Post
    can you elaborate on your rear plans using passat parts? as far as the stuff I mentioned if you go to a yard everything you need for your front spindles will be on the rear of the car, or you can buy new, stub axles are $30 each at advance auto parts, rotors can be as low as $13 each on rock auto, a wheel bearing kit is $20 per side on rock auto, calipers are the expensive part at about $80 each. so new isn't to pricy but buying used would save some cash

I was gonna use the front passengerside cv joints with newer hubs. For the centershaft I was gonna use the transmission axle and shorten it. So basically what Cklemm did... here's the page

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/st4/2...d-pics-14.html

10. Collapse Details
    ok, its going slow due to school but I'm making some progress. i have been modeling it up in sketch-up and have decided to add dome extra bracing. the rear end and very fr

- x brace on top of roll cage
    - x brace linking top of buggy to bottom
    - a "v"ish brace through the center of the cab
    - a bar in the middle of the "Windshield area" (might not do this one)

tell me what you think...

original plans to compare.....

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast