Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Planning ST4 Build and looking for a Jeffco FNR Differential Box: Please Give Input!
    Lightbulb
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm currently in the process of planning my Badlands St4 Build. Most of you are probably scratching your head saying why would he plan out a build if he has the plans? Well hold onto your seat. I currently work on a ship and need something to do in my off time, so yeah, I want to build something so i'm not bored every day. I also want to try to build my ST4 so that I can register it in Massachusetts. Last, i need to figure out if i'll have enough head/leg room in this buggy (i'm 6' 1"). by this point most of you probably think i'm crazy, but that's fine . So here's where I want all of your input!!

With hopes of registering this in Massachusetts i'm thinking i'll only be able to make it street legal if it has a differential and reverse (I realize that its also going to need lights, e-brake etc. I'll be calling the Mass State Police tomorrow to find out exactly whats needed. Unfortunately neither the Registry of Motor vehicles and an actual inspection station were able to answer my question). So here are my ideas to solve this problem.

1. I was thinking I would use a Jeffco FNR Differential box. The issue with that is that if I buy one new, it'll cost more than the rest of the buggy. If anyone has one they're thinking of selling PLEASE let me know!

2. This idea is slightly more far fetched. I could pick up a used 1995 Honda civic transmission and convert it to chain drive like the guy in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrgTc-3FgA Skip to 1:25 to see what i'm talking about. The advantage to this would be that there is a differential built in as well as reverse. It would also cost a fraction of the price as the Jeffco box and parts would be readily available. I could also possibly set up some sort of overdrive . the biggest issue with this idea would be space. If I were to commit to this plan I think I would have to can the whole rear suspension setup that the build plans call for.

3. This idea I think would be the cool, but not very plausible. This company st4 drivetrain setup.jpgmakes small planetary reverse gear boxes http://www.roadstercycle.com/Reverse...otorcycles.htm. My idea is that the engine would be chained to the reverse gearbox which would act as a jackshaft. The other shaft of the reverse gearbox would be chained to a chain driven differential. I have attached a quick simple drawing of my idea.

4. I found this video on youtube of this guy's st4 which he somehow mounted what looks like a motorcycle engine with a car transmission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrgmh9jO8c Skip to 1:46 to catch a quick glimpse of his set up. You can tell he had to change the rear suspension which looks a little questionable but overall I think the idea was pretty cool. I still cant tell what it is though? I know he's on another forum somewhere but when i tried clicking on it, everything was in Chinese.

So, feel free to tell me exactly what you think. I appreciate any and all input (unless you're being a hater)!!!

Thank you so much guys and gals,

N0Good

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Planning ST4 Build and looking for a Jeffco FNR Differential Box: Please Give Inp
    Sorry for the double post guys. something happened when I clicked submit.

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Planning ST4 Build and looking for a Jeffco FNR Differential Box: Please Give Inp
    Millenium Member
    sent ya a pm

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN.

No worries on the double post - getting sent to a page not found when you make a post is a bug in our system here.

Jeffco? Have you done your research on that particular piece? We have a couple of members that have had no issues with theirs, but there have been a lot more with issues, than without.

Most of the drive train ideas you've mentioned have been either discussed or tried. Look around on the forum and see what the majority of people have ended up with and head down that path.

5. Collapse Details
    I have built one and they are terrible planes. The cage is way to small for a 6'1 180lbs person. Also the steering is backwards, and I have broken almost every part of the suspension. But this is just my 2 cents

In addition, I live in Maine and they are very strict when it comes about registering.

6. Collapse Details
    Ohio, which is a long way from the desert
    Quote Originally Posted by Pstegs 101 View Post
    I have built one and they are terrible planes. The cage is way to small for a 6'1 180lbs person. Also the steering is backwards, and I have broken almost every part of the suspension. But this is just my 2 cents

In addition, I live in Maine and they are very strict when it comes about registering.

I agree, the plans aren't the best. There is plenty of room for improvement. I did a lot of research and found a lot of the weak points and addressed them while working on my build.
    For my cockpit I stretched it 8" and made it 6" taller and I am glad I did! I am 6' tall and it seems to be alright for me now.

I can't speak about the differential or reverse, I am running a live axle without reverse.

7. Collapse Details
    How do you like the live axle? Do you think it pushes? I am running a hayabusa so more things tend to break.

8. Collapse Details
    Ohio, which is a long way from the desert
    Quote Originally Posted by Pstegs 101 View Post
    How do you like the live axle? Do you think it pushes? I am running a hayabusa so more things tend to break.
    I am still putting it together so I'm not sure yet. I will say it's a lot harder to push around...lol. I am hoping to have it up and running by the end of July early August. I have been cranking on this thing. I started it in February and can't wait to get it all wrapped up.

9. Collapse Details
    Looking forward to seeing progress on this! As others have stated, there are a few issues with the ST4 plans, but nothing really that bad. The biggest issue is the cockpit is small. Adding some width and length is easy enough if you account for it now. The steering issue was resolved and an updated cut part was on the download site when I purchased my plans.

I started down the path of making a hybrid ST4/Megalodon but after many tweaks and changes there isn't much ST4 left. I had much of the suspension parts cut out before going down the path of wanting to be different. A few things are Megalodon specific but much of it will work with the ST4 plans. The cut parts are listed in my fs advert on the site.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, i do have to say i'm a little hesitant to go down the St-4 path. The buggy looks beautiful but i'm not 100% sure about some of the plans. I also noticed that the buggy looks very cramped such as Pstegs has described. I was reading a thread a few days ago where a guy was trying to figure out whether to build a Rorty Shotgun II or an ST-4 and someone mentioned that there's usually one or two big engineering flaws in the plans that need to be overcome and that the cage isn't really designed for strength. I'm glancing over at the Rorty R82S at the moment. It looks a great deal larger, but the ST-4 is just so sexy.
    Last edited by N0Good; 05-23-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast