Torque 30.4 ftlbf (41.2 Nm) @ 7,500 rpm[citation needed]
    Transmission 5-speed
    Suspension Front: 35 mm telescopic forks
    Rear: Twin shocks with adjustable pre-load
    Tires Front: 3.25 x 19 in
    Rear: 3.75 x 18 in
    Rake, Trail Rake: 64, trail: 105 mm
    Seat height 805 mm (31.7 in)
    Weight 192 kg (420 lb)[citation needed] (dry)
    Fuel capacity 14 litres (3.7 US gal)

2. Collapse Details
    Re: ST4 buggy withCR 250 engine
    Just noticed something. in my last post i said it was a 1974. Its actually a 1975, but im sure its the same specs as you listed. 50 hp should do it for an ST2 right?

3. Collapse Details
    Just cause an engine will start does not mean its good. The clutch could be slipping like a beeyotch and the tranny may have a gear or two out or kick out of a gear.

Anytime you cannot test drive a donor motor you are taking a large gamble. If its a common motor and the one you get is bad you can simply buy another that will bolt into where the hole is. Redoing a engines mounts and alignments for a totally diff engine might be a bear in a tight chassis.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    Well that is true. But for the price of this engine i think its worth a chance. I'll make sure i do some more investigating before buying it, but im at least going to look at it this weekend and hear it run.

5. Collapse Details
    Here's my 2 cents No matter what engine you chose the need for more power will come up. I built a badlands sabertooth buggy using a 500 cc quad motor. This plan is on the lower side of the scale as far as builds go. I had no idea what thes buggies drove and handled like and I have only driven mine .The suspension is nothing short of amazing. There are a lot of people on here that are more than willing to give advice when asked . Cheap is sometime cheap for a reason. A well thought out plan makes the difference between a good buggy and a money pit. With the latter the fun comes out of it real fast.I have seen some budget builds on here that are amazing. Hey necessity is the mother of invention. But there is a difference in scratching your ass and tearing it all to hell. I bought a motor not running needed clutches ,Trany was rough. Once up and running new air box used carb new cam the itch was starting to get RAW. I'm not tring to be negitive here building one of these cars is the most fun I have ever had , Car #2 you bet. I've been on this forum for 2 years I have seen a lot of new people come and go it's to bad because this is a fun hobby expensive sometimes but the end result is unbelievable.
    Sorry about the Rant Sodman

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Sodman,

You do have a point about cheap stuff being cheap, but then there's the rare circumstances where something is in real good shape and is being sold cheap simply because the owner has no use for it and isn't trying to make a ton of money off of it. I know for sure im gonna end up wanting more power than i would get with my little hot-rodded GX390. Now you got me thinking if i wanna mess with this CB550 motor or not. Any way to test certain things on the motor before i buy it other than seeing it run?

7. Collapse Details
    Hey that motor could be the cats meow . Air cooled liquid is better . Other than seeing the motor run your on your own . Now if can drive the bike or snowmobile or have seen it mobile more than once that would show some promise. I had guy repond to thread about recoupe on a sled . Sled came with no front end ,seat or plastic he keep everything he needed for the buggy parted out the rest for 2000.00 he only paid 1100.00 for it, sometime's you luck into things.

8. Collapse Details
    Well im hoping i can be that lucky. The guy selling this CB550 motor that im looking at only wants $250 for the engine and it comes with everything needed to be a complete running powerplant. I was about to spend that much on just an exhaust system for the GX390 motor. Im not going to look at the motor till saturday so i have a bit of time to think about it and research it some more.

9. Collapse Details
    If you could ask if you can ride the motor while in the bike still if thats possible.

I would not consider 250 for that motor a good deal. Its old and a god motor (if not bad or junk) but its not that good of a motor for 250.

Even in Oklahoma you may be able to find a complete liquid cooled sled for 250 that you can ride to see its good.

I would keep looking. Myself anyways
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

10. Collapse Details
    Wish i could ride it, but the motor has already been taken out of the bike. I thought that was a pretty decent price for a complete engine, but it it pretty old. You got me thinking now........ this blows lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast