Thread: ST3 Build 2021

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ST3 Build 2021
    IMG_2569.jpgIMG_2556.jpgIMG_2566.jpgI have started my ST3 build. I am trying to keep it strictly to the plans, want to reduce unintended consequences as much as possible. Built a 4’x8’ work table with leveling legs to start. I have the rogue fab m600 bender and their notcher. If anyone has any suggestions or knows where the plans need revisions please feel free to help out. I am 6’1” is there enough room in cockpit? Bought a set of mule takeoff wheels and tires 4x156 bolt spacing on wheels. If anyone has idea for front hub assembly without drilling and welding to existing hub assembly please let me know.
    Last edited by buggy; 03-16-2021 at 12:03 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: ST3 Build 2021
    looks great, that table will really help, I used saw horses and I wish I had that table.
    Why not use Polaris hubs for the front, this will solve your issue with the wheels fitting the front. I'm not familiar with the plans but you'd have to modify and adjust to fit the polaris hubs.
    Some Yamaha's used 4x156 on the front also, banshee's etc..

3. Collapse Details
    For the front hubs, buggy will be 2 wheel drive, so do i just buy the entire assembly and pull the drive shaft. rzr hubs are internally splined, so would need threaded splined shaft to keep assembly together? any of the 2wd drive versions seems like they have drum brakes and i want disc up front. I am having trouble visualizing how it would work.

4. Collapse Details
    You could use front hubs from a 2wd Polaris ATV with disc brakes. I used front hubs and a-arms from a Yamaha YFZ450, it has disc brakes, 4x156 hub, and the arms worked great, I just had to make mounting "ears" for the arms to my frame.

5. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't worry about the parts being internally splined. A LOT of cars, trucks, and SUVs that are 2wd with a 4wd/AWD counterpart will share the front hubs, minus the cv axles, front differential, but will still use the same spindles and hubs.

Quick question for you though, does the ST3 plans call for 1" axle with u-joints? I know my ST2-NG plans call for those.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes it uses 1" axles with j joints. i was thinking about using rzr axles with cv or something similar. no idea on engine yet, so will figure all that out later. we want to have fun and not die, so probably wont go for crazy horsepower. The only difference between ST3 and ST2 plans is the chassis.

7. Collapse Details
    Where are you located? Most easily found engines are going to be motorcycle. If your north, and you don't want to shift, snowmobile engine. Since yours is the two seater, you may want to look for engines around 700cc and up, and gear it deep if you don't get any higher than 750cc.

8. Collapse Details
    I am in west texas, Midland. I want to shift, so probably will find a motorcycle engine. I made my first tube with multiple bends, i was very concerned about messing this up. I drew out full size template on 5mm plywood, bent some sample tubes, 45, 30, and 60 degree bends marked start and stop of bends and measured 6" bend offset and everything went great. I need to work on keeping tube aligned in bender, i do have a couple angle cubes but need to get better at putting them on where they can stay on during the whole process. IMG_2571.jpg

9. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I used to have a plywood sheet marked out like a compass so I could measure tubing angles, cuts, etc. Very handy at the time.

If this is your first build, then you will discover the 80/20 rule at some point. You'll get 80 percent of the buggy built, then things will sl-o-o-w down trying to get that last 20 percent done (ask K-fab about wiring). Just be patient and keep at it.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 03-17-2021 at 12:10 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    i agree on the 80/20 rule, we recently built a grandaddy go kart and solving all the "quirks" probably took as long as building it. just getting it to stop safely was a huge learning experience. IMG_2573.jpgIMG_2572.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast