Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Canadian ST3 build!
    Thanks! Lol this build wouldn't have been possible without princess auto

The part of the frame you can kinda see sticking out behind the seat is raised up about half an inch. The rest of it straightened out when I completed all the welds. Thinking I might strategically bend that back part down a bit so my rear suspension is not out of wack.

Cheers!
    Mike

2. Collapse Details
    Powerfist FTW! Lol

Finally got around to bending up some of that tube.

Took over an hr to complete the first tube. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was only out by 1/4" but that was only due to a measuring error when trimming it up lol

[/URL]

I knew there would be some rippling on the inside of the bend due to bending this tube with a pipe bender, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

All in all I'm happy with the results. But remember, this was a huge pain I the ass and made about 20 partial bends to get 2 complete bends. With a proper tube bender, this should only have taken 30 min to an hr.... These 4 tube took me 3.5hrs. Mind you, the last tube only took me about 20 min.

[/URL]

More to come!
    Mike

3. Collapse Details
    You did a half decent job with the bender you have. I built myself Takacs tube bender and then made the dies myself.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...es-myself.html

I've bought a lot of stuff from Princess Auto as well

4. Collapse Details
    So, in looking at my frame dimensions thus far, Jerm, I'm concerned about the space available if I go with the RX1 engine.... Here is what I am working with:

Having stuffed one of these engines in your build, do I have enough room? On your build, your engine measured 28" x 16" and am ASSuming mine will be about twice the width... My frame rails are only 10" apart, and 32.5' long. Also, the "Bulkhead" that attached to "SB" slants back in to the engine bay at 69 degrees, so that 32.5" gets reduced rather quickly as you go up from the frame....

Lastly, I'm really wanting to go with the trailing arm suspension that you did, but It looks like "SJ" is going to prevent that? what are your thoughts...

Thanks!
    Mike
    Last edited by cdnjaguar; 12-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks Daaboots! That is a nice bender. I thought about making a bender as well, but unfortunately, I don't have access to a lathe. this is definitely a po' boy build lol

6. Collapse Details
    Mike those SJ angle members will definately cause you issues if you plan to go with the same trailing arms as I did. You;ll likely have to move those inboard so you have a flat area to work with for the trailing arm setup.
    If I were you I would not weld or cut any steel on that rear end till you get that RX1 torn down and ready to go in. Basically put that engine with bulkheads in the existing frame you have, then try to fit the cross members and trailing arms around it. I ended up moving a few things when I had the engine placed in and I wished I had mocked up the engine in the frame much sooner.

7. Collapse Details
    Well.... I got it... Now what the hell do I do with it?! Lol

I blew the engine budget with this one, so hopefully I can save it up somewhere....Just got it in the garage tonight. Going to try and get out tomorrow and take some rough measurements and take a good look at how I'm going to do this.

It really seems a shame to tear apart this nice sled!

I'm starting to second guess my choice in frame. I read this engine weighs in at 150lbs, but I'll be leaving the secondly on and putting a sprocket on the final drive axle so not sure if that adds to the weight. As I look at this design, I'm not sure if it was designed for such a big engine.. Wondering if I should try and strengthen it up somewhere maybe... Thoughts?

8. Collapse Details
    Man that thing looks great! Looks you don't have much finished on the frame I'd consider just building a new base frame to fit that engine. It might not even look much like an ST3 when you are finished. how does the reverse chaincase look? And the final drive? do you plan to use all that?

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks! I was surprised it was in such good condition and runs great. Yes, I plan to use the reverse and final drive. Gotta open the reverse chaincase as it's hard to engage reverse so something is going on in there.... I would like to just get an adapter made up for the final drive shaft so I can bolt on a standard style sprocket.

The thought did cross my mind to start a new frame.... But I have 0 engineering skill so I don't feel comfortable designing something from the ground up so I'm kinda stuck building to a drawing...

Also, I have about $400 in to the frame at this point.... the bottom square is done and all the tubing is pre-cut for the top part. so it would be a shame to waste all that tube and $.... But I am open to suggestions.

I think volume wise, the engine will fit, it's the weight of the engine and the extra torque that kinda concerns me.... or am I thinking too much in to this?

Here are the dimensions of the "horizontal hoop"

Last edited by cdnjaguar; 12-30-2014 at 05:13 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    I hear what you're saying about the frame. I'd still get that engine placed into that base frame sooner than later. Also, don't get too far ahead of yourself following the plans, you'll find out that if you change one thing to fit that engine that all the pre-bent tubes you made ahead of time might not fit exactly. bend and cut the tubes as you go.
    that engine wont be too heavy. you have some decent tubing there to hold it all together.
    as for the warped frame, maybe try clamping it down to a bench, then tack weld on your top frame, it might straighten out.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast