Thread: My ST3 progress

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My ST3 progress
    just picked up steel to finish chasis today but her it is so far all welds will be filled before painting part of the body shop in me

http://

2. Collapse Details
    Re: My ST3 progress
    some of the chasis may change due to making this 4x4 but it will give me a good starting point

3. Collapse Details
    Solid start! Nice job on the frame.

Bruce
    badlandbuggy.com

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks. vac over now so progress will be sketchy. But most of the big stuff is done waiting to have transfer case machined and working on few diff options for the drive line

5. Collapse Details
    hey i just bought the ST3 plans and ill be modifying them pretty heavily but im wondering what your doing about your suspension design??

6. Collapse Details
    Nice start, looks like a nice frame build

7. Collapse Details
    TGIF

suspension will be basic A arm front and back shock mount will be different than plans due to being a 4x4 but im thinking of buiding something along the lines of like a IFS truck.
    what i havent decided is to mount both diff and out puts of transfercase below chasis all in tubes with drive shaft tunnel for protection. Set up like a regular truck. this route would allow mounting the suspension lower and give me more lift. Yes i know everything will be lower and can hang up on trails but skid plates also will help like i have in my lifted trucks.
    if i put driveline in the frame then i wuld have to sacrifice some lift any way so it equals out either way. But with drive line under, i wouldn't have drive shafts running along side my legs in a tunnel and would make drive compartment more comfortable to drive.
    When i say mount under it means up tight or as close to frame as i can with out rubbing issues and diff will be mounted in tubes that pretty much just enclose them so they will act as skid plates also. With LSD front and rear dont thing hanging up will be much off problem.
    I will try to draw up something for better explaination. I have gone back to work and now have to look at buggy sit been working 12-13 hrs aday since last sunday only have one day off next mon.
    Hope i helped some

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks Stomper

9. Collapse Details
    TGIF
    Also kicked around the idea of solid axle drive line 4link for some serious crawling but not alot of rocks to play on in Maine. if this was the route then it would be narrowed toyota axles, but with the added weight i would try to find a bigger motor, i only have a fresh 600 CBR to play with now. I am hoping this wont be an issue since alot of guys run 4cyl and 6 cly engines in thier trucks even some pro rock crawlers run lower cubes. but they are alot more tork than a bike engine so i have some playing to do

10. Collapse Details
    most recent aditions to buggy rear lower engine hanging in chasis for measurments for upper arms
    Here are the brackets i made to remove rear roll bar for engine install and removal works great

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast