Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Collapse Details
    New ST2 build finished
    #1
    Default
    So I finally finished the buggy. I had started this build when I was 18 (now 32). Managed to keep the buggy through 4 moves, 1 wife and 3 kids in those years! I cant say that about all the toys i've owned! The buggy began with a Polaris 650 snowmobile engine. I couldn't figure out the clutching and was never happy with how it performed with that engine. It was great when it worked but was not reliable. Old set-up photos:

    018.jpg
    1226527490033.jpg
    022.jpg
    I picked up a 2005 gsxr 600 crashed and removed everything I needed for the buggy. I desperately want the engine to sit as low as possible. So I moved the cross-member behind the driver seat forward about 3 inches to make it happen. The exhaust is a very tight fit behind the seat, but with a shroud and insulation it works.

    I had the Fox 2.0 shocks on the rear also, I found they would bottom out on jumps too easily, even with extra pressure. I splurged a bit and went with some King coilovers. Much better than the air shocks, especially with the ability to adjust for preload, transition to main, and firmness on the remote res.

    The original Badland design was impressive when I was 18, now after spending countless hours improving it I know it was just a starting point.

    The rear hubs and u-joints with 1/4" keys failed me very quickly, along with the front steering arm on the spindles. I strengthened the steering arms and redesigned the rear hubs and driveline. The axles, hubs, and cv's are from a pontiac solstice. I had to cut the axles and weld in a fishmouthed union to make it work. The center axle is a 1.375" 4140 splined shaft with splined hubs and spacers covering the whole thing. The inner cv has a splined union welded on with a whistle notch to hold it on the end of the splined shaft.

    Finished Photo:
    2017-01-29 19.13.28a.jpg

    Putting the engine on the lowest part of the frame forced me to move the seat and steering as forward as possible. I also increased the angle of the cage in front of the driver to make more room.

    The gauges are off the gsxr, which I mounted to the polaris snowmobile headlight housing.

    The body panels are a impact resistant polystyrene. I used to work for 3M so I had access to loads of cheap VHB mounting tape (same stuff the your car trim is held on with). The panels that I don't need to remove I used VHB, the ones I do need to remove I used dual lock. This kept the panels free of and visible mechanical fasteners for a really clean look.

    Plans for improvements, Front brakes...Larger tires F/R...wheel adapters to go to a standard ATV pattern...Radiator bezel...side scoops to bring more air in to engine...new front spindles with brakes and better connection to the a-arms.

    Here is a walk around video and a few action videos for you guys to enjoy.

    https://youtu.be/FIE7DDj2hjc

    https://youtu.be/sbqBT7p-sBE

    https://youtu.be/PnAFb_3YgRA
    Last edited by Matt; 11-15-2017 at 03:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: New ST2 build finished
    #2
    Senior Member SuzukiSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    109
    Default
    Lookin' good. Doesn't look like you're too cramped in there having moved the seat forward. It looked like you have quite a bit of gear reduction in the jackshaft. Does it run through the gears pretty quick?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: New ST2 build finished
    #3
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiSteve View Post
    Lookin' good. Doesn't look like you're too cramped in there having moved the seat forward. It looked like you have quite a bit of gear reduction in the jackshaft. Does it run through the gears pretty quick?
    Yea, faster than I would like. Tops out at 60ish mph. I have some taller tires which should help, need to get some 14" wheels first though. If you look close you can see i mounted the rear wheels backwards to clear the shocks and give a wider stance. Im not sure if i will be able to get some atv wheels with that offset, going to an atv bolt pattern will help. The wonky chain tensioning setup i came up with is holding up suprisingly well. I just pinched the pillowblocks on a threaded shaft.
    Reply With Quote
     

Similar Threads

  1. Finished GV Buggy Build
    By gvouvakos in forum Show off your toys in here!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2015, 06:11 PM
  2. Finished my second build
    By rowycoracing in forum Show off your toys in here!
    Replies: 174
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
  3. The beast finished at last
    By Spider GK 250 in forum Show off your toys in here!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 04:08 AM
  4. Check out my finished build
    By Azeriksis in forum MiniBuggy.net Lounge!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
  5. My finished cuda
    By Azeriksis in forum Show off your toys in here!
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •