1. Collapse Details
    ST2 LT project build
    UHey guys, love the forums and starting in on a st2 build my self, pondering some questions and concepts on the build, making some changes early on from lessons learned reading into other people's builds

I started construction on the lowest portion of the chassis, the square tubing
    I started off with .125 instead of .095, was this a mistake? i have the round tube in .095 to build the rest of the roll cage, I am still early enough in the build to start over without much hassle, and I can use the steel for other projects around the garage

Next question, I want to build something I can race in some of our desert series, one of the specs for a legal chassis is 1 1/2 inch tubing instead Of the 1 1/4 inch tubing the plans called for, would a single 1 1/2 inch tube in the overhead portion be legal for this? Or does the whole chassis need to be 1 1/2 tube to be legal? This is for the smaller desert series around california/Nevada etc

Next concept, I have a 2001 gsxr motor sitting for the project, i have read over and over how the clutch is weak for a buggy like we build, and have tryed to come up with a good option to not blow clutches ripping this thing around, are heavy duty clutch plates and springs enough to make it worth it? I know a snowmobile engine with cvt is a good option.
    I have also thought about going with a Harley belt style setup to create a weak point other than the clutch (also removing the short chain heating up as a problem)
    I have also considered a large homemade slipper clutch as another option to save the Internal, something like you would see on a RC car with a nitro motor, sprocket between pads with a set spring tension.

For now that's all up in the initial planning, I want to build it right and have noticed a lot of people redesigning Late into the build to fix problems that could have been worked around easier in the beginning.
    Any thoughts or opinions on the above mentioned would be appreciated, I'll eventually get back here with photos and more updates
    Last edited by Lorduss; 10-17-2015 at 03:46 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: ST2 LT project build
    I used .100" wall square tube for the lower frame and .095" round for the cage. Is the motor a 1000cc? If the buggy is geared lower than the bike was and it probably will be, than there shouldn't be much more stress on the clutch.