Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Godfather's SS1000 Protolite
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Drakart's still in business? Who knew! Well, I guess Godfather knew that.

Here's my philosophy. Building is half the fun of owning. If you're doing the work yourself and you enjoy doing it, then drop another $10K into the buggy and when they ask you "did you build that", you can give them a satisfying "yes!". If you're contracting out the work, then I would look and see what you can get for your buggy and go for the Drakart.

It seems like off-road buggy's are really expensive when you're trying to buy one, but incredibly cheap when you're trying to sell one.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    It seems like off-road buggy's are really expensive when you're trying to buy one, but incredibly cheap when you're trying to sell one.
    Yes it always seems that way, if you look at what some people are asking for their SXS's you would think you were buying it off the showroom floor.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    Drakart's still in business? Who knew! Well, I guess Godfather knew that.

Here's my philosophy. Building is half the fun of owning. If you're doing the work yourself and you enjoy doing it, then drop another $10K into the buggy and when they ask you "did you build that", you can give them a satisfying "yes!". If you're contracting out the work, then I would look and see what you can get for your buggy and go for the Drakart.

I have to be honest, I did not build this. I bought it from bryzone (he has a build thread on here). I believe I paid $16k for it plus $700 to ship it. Lets just round up and say $18k once you factor registration and all that. Now factor another $3k in having all new heim joints machined and some other misc stuff and i'm around $21k -$22k into this.

Drakart has a new Scorpion 2 and 4 seater using a hayabusa with sequential and optional 4wd. The base model 2 door is like $45k, add $3k for 4wd (which I probably wouldn't go with).

Its a terrible time to try and sell this so i'll likely hold onto it through the winter although I do have it listed for sale but not aggressively selling it. The one thing I really dislike about UTV's is the fact you either have CVT (boring and belts just suck) or you have flappy paddle option with Honda and Yamaha. Yamaha does offer a 5 speed manual sequential in the YXZ and the option GYTR turbo puts it up to 200hp which is kind of cool and I was quoted $21k OTD for one with manual 5 speed in SE trim. However, then I would need to add a cage, gussets and other frame support / upgrades, skid plates and long travel kit which throws you up and above $30k pretty quick. I can afford it, just not sure I want to.

I do have an account with Copart and Manhein auto auctions. I have tossed around the idea of finding a rolled Can-Am X3 or some sort of insurance claimed X3 for $10k or less, picking up a wrecked 2015 or newer R1 and using the engine from that and swapping it in. I could use an RMP gearbox, quaife or throw down some cash and go nutty with a Sadev gearbox (stupid pricey, roughly $15k but you get what you pay for), have the engine cradle made and have one rather crazy Can-Am. I figure that would set me back $30k-$35k before selling off the engine, trans, etc.

Now, back to the SS1000.

Has anyone ever considered running some snowtracks in the rear with either Snowcobra or custom made snowski's up front? I live in Salt Lake City so we have plenty of wide trails for snowmobiles and think the SS1000 could be a pretty damn fun time with some tracks and skis on it. I'm wondering if you would be able slide it around turns similar to a trail snowmobile or if it would be some albatross trying to get it to handle some sweeping turns.

4. Collapse Details
    I havent done any snow maybe if you had speed you could slid the ass end around but get on the power and I would think it would just want to go straight

5. Collapse Details

Not tracks but paddle tires was fun until the chain snapped.
    The GPS recorded 82MPH max speed on that run.
    Last edited by K-fab; 09-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    nice, but I wanted to see you deploy that parachute

7. Collapse Details
    That looks pretty damn fun.

Went hiking down in zions / the narrows last weekend so I wasn’t able to finish up the cooling on the buggy. Hopefully I’ll have that wrapped up by end of the weekend and get some pics posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3