Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Godfather's SS1000 Protolite
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    EPS (electronic power steering) goes in line in the steering shaft, between the steering wheel and the steering rack.
    You’ll need to get a rack that has the right distance spread (or add a spreader) for your tie rod mounting points.

Search along a bit and you’ll find a few builds with EPS. Saturn View and Prius are common donors.

2. Collapse Details
    I’m assuming I could with something similar to this:
    https://www.kartek.com/parts/400-wat...ering-kit.html

or

https://www.superatv.com/universal-p...-kit-170w-220w

Or would you suggest ripping one out of a Saturn or Prius?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather2112 View Post
    I’m assuming I could with something similar to this:
    or

HOLY CRAP! Those are EXPENSIVE!

Salvage yard and/or eBay. Like I said, poke around here on the site and see what others have used. My EPS is from a Saturn - has a little control box that allows you to adjust the input power. I got it from Flyerrider and he got it from??? Still, it wasn't anywhere near the prices you've linked.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather2112 View Post
    Iím assuming I could with something similar to this:

or

I pulled one from a 2008 Nissan Versa. I got it for about $20. When it is unplugged from the cars electronics, it will default to a pre set amount of steering assistance which is just right for a buggy (so Iíve heard, havenít driven my buggy yet). I actually got the whole steering column, steering wheel down to the 2nd u joint. Itís good to take as much as you can so you can use parts if you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    HOLY CRAP! Those are EXPENSIVE!

Salvage yard and/or eBay. Like I said, poke around here on the site and see what others have used. My EPS is from a Saturn - has a little control box that allows you to adjust the input power. I got it from Flyerrider and he got it from??? Still, it wasn't anywhere near the prices you've linked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linden318 View Post
    I pulled one from a 2008 Nissan Versa. I got it for about $20. When it is unplugged from the cars electronics, it will default to a pre set amount of steering assistance which is just right for a buggy (so I’ve heard, haven’t driven my buggy yet). I actually got the whole steering column, steering wheel down to the 2nd u joint. It’s good to take as much as you can so you can use parts if you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.

I have a random question for you all and just want to get some opinions. The lady doesn't like riding in the buggy as its "too fast, loud, stiff etc." Lets say I wanted to convert the buggy from how it is now (SS1000) down to a single seat DXT1000. Would the work and cost involved be worth it? I would have to have a shop do it as I simply do not have the tools nor the welding experience needed to do it. From looking at the designs, clearly the width would need to be taken in and the front end shortened. I'm not sure of the cost to do so would be significantly cheaper than having a new frame made or if it would come out to be roughly the same. Any thoughts on this?

6. Collapse Details
    Took the buggy out on some trails up in the mountains yesterday and my cooling issue, while improved is not resolved. There were several times I saw the engine temp approaching 240 degrees while under heavy load on ascending trails and had to back off, turn around and slowly drive in 3rd - 4th gear to cool it down. This maybe happens within 10 or so minutes of driving. Ambient temp was maybe 80 degrees at most. If going on flat surface under heavy load, it stays around 220 which still seems rather hot or is this about right? I’ve owned several GSXR - 1000 track bikes and I can’t remember getting the bike above 210 but that was a while back.

My first thought is to relocate the radiators behind the driver and passenger on the roll cage where the tubing comes back (see pic) towards the vehicle BB0D8C87-C92F-4CC4-B715-3BD9EDDEF1EB.jpg

The other idea is adding dual intake style snorkels and ducting them to the front of the radiator (less ideal I think).

I also want to upgrade the rack and pinion as I hate how much play is in it. Im
    this one (https://www.pacificcustoms.com/saco64-1011.html) or similar but will need to check the spline count.

Lastly, this sucker needs some front and rear sway bars for the type of riding I do. I’m going to have to assume these will be custom cut with drop links unless you all know of somewhere that has some that will work.

My final question for you guys is in regards to the rear sprocket. The current sprocket is an 18 tooth sprocket which more or less seems to be fine. The goal for the buggy is to have it setup for rally cross / kart cross application. I don’t foresee me needing to exceed speeds of 90 mph but would like more low end power / torque if possible. Should I stay with the 18 tooth sprocket or go down a size?

Im currently working with Accutune to come up with an ideal coil over for the buggy. Probably looking at Fox 2.0 piggyback coilover with 5/8th shaft which should give 10” of travel. If I bump up to the 7/8th shaft, I can extend the travel up to 18” but that seems excessive for the driving I’ll be doing. Any thoughts on this?

7. Collapse Details
    I'd move the rad up to where you've indicated in the picture. They like free flowing air when possible.

Saco makes good stuff. You can always get a u-joint that adapts - they make this to that spline joints.

Travel is travel and the more the better in general. It'll give you more articulation over what ever terrain you're in.

You'll be able to control sway with dual rate springs and stop collars to get the main springs active at a point that the roll is getting too much.
    Sprint car stuff - midget?
    Dunno where to get them. I took a total shot in the dark and made mine with a piece of 1x.065 chromoly and roughly 12" long arms. Just guessed and initial rides say it's close. Chromoly is nice and springy.

8. Collapse Details
    Awesome, thanks Kfab. To go with the longer travel I’ll have to bump up to the 7/8 shaft which isn’t a big deal. Now to figure out spring rates.

9. Collapse Details
    I should have the radiators relocated to the location shown by end of next week (hopefully). One of my gripes I want to address is the shifter location and how it functions. I race karts and some other vehicles that use sequential and am use to pushing forward to go down gears and pulling to go up. With that said, I think i'm going to build a center console that separates the driver from passenger and install a new sequential shifter. Does anyone have any experience with this (https://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/m...de=latest_rage). There are more expensive ones out there that also incorporate a reverse mechanism like this:
    https://www.kartek.com/parts/hargett...4d-s5-s5d.html
    https://www.kartek.com/parts/fortin-...ed-finish.html
    https://www.mckenzies.com/products/w...-s5-by-hargett

That said, those seem rather expensive for just a simple sequential shifter. I was thinking I would just mount the reverse lever that's there further back towards the rear firewall with the sequential upfront. Any thoughts or suggestions on a different sequential or issues that might arise?

10. Collapse Details
    Started to work on the radiator relocation this weekend and as I’m removing the radiator behind the driver side, I noticed something that I probably should have noticed before. The oil cooler was attached in front of the radiator. I’m not sure if this was part of the original design by Jodie or if that’s simply where the previous owner decided to attach it to but I’m having to assume that’s part of the reason I have hotter than ideal temps and close to warning temps under heavy load on inclines.

So instead of completely relocating the radiators (at least for now), I will be relocating the oil cooler further back and also installing higher density fans (larger fins) to the front of the radiator along with shrouding to direct the airflow. If for some reason this still does not work, I’ll relocate the fans to the area indicated in the pic above.

im also exploring the idea of changing the rear suspension to a trailing arm application. Currently it’s been completely scanned and entered into a cad program at a local off road company and we’re going to look at the total cost involved in doing so. We would also extend the rear axles out a bit. Depending on total cost, it could end up with a completely different rear end geometry with Fox 2.5 piggyback coilovers.

im at the cross roads where “do I drop another $10k into this or sell it and splurge on a Drakart Scorpion X2”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast