Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Protolite SS1000 -Outlaw UTV
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop0130 View Post
    To the BOX STORE guys they can't compete, I know they can, our courses vary from 7-14 miles long per lap in the woods, can be as slow as 10mph or as fast as you can run on endurance style. We do short course as well, and the BOX STORE bikes can get there can handed to them fairly easy as long as it's a stretched out track. In our racing UTVRR, there is a point to prove, you don't have to go to the box store to be competitive! Most of them are scared of a bike like this and complain about them, in reality they lack skill LOL!!!!
    Maybe its me, but this is real hard to read?

They can compete or they cant?

You have "over 35,000 in it", do you compete in a full modified class or against stock SXS ?

Sounds like fun, real curious how a shifter car does against a CVT in the woods.

I think we've seen some videos from this track before on here? We had a member that was racing there I think. He had the polaris single seater.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

2. Collapse Details
    Wheels, that section to the right was deleted for the 2013 season and now is behind the lodge with a large spectator area. It is known as the short course section, mostly there for the fans to see their favorite teams come thru and do a little racing before heading out to the woods course.
    We now use in car camera's that transmit the footage as it's going on back to the trailer on a 1 to 1.5 second delay and are able to communicate totally between our team mates and homebase. Pit stratagey plays a big role in this type of racing. We have seen 4 hr. races be won and lost by 12 seconds. A total team effort!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details
    Bull, in the first line I'm stating that the Box store guys that go to Polaris,artic cat,BRP think that bike power can't compete, but I know that they can, I have built a few that have competed before mine that have done well, never won however, but done well, jody's from protodie's personal car was bought by a friend of mine and it's first time out it placed 7th out of 40 + cars. Problem with most of these type's of cars is the people building them are on budget's and cut corner's on the thing's it takes to be competitive in this type of racing and cost them in the long run! This car hasn't had a dime spared on it, it has the best of everything! It compete's in what is classified as QR1 or outlaw class, run what you brung and hope you brung enough!
    Last edited by choptop0130; 01-25-2014 at 02:30 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    OK, thats much clearer. Sounds like fun.

How does the clutch hold up? It just seems like the woods would be tough on a bike clutch?

DUH! - I just now saw the OUTLAW part!

did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    Clutch does fine once you get use to it, because of it being 2-wheel drive and a clutch car it can get harry at times on EXTREMELY steep hills if you get caught in a bad situation. I won't take the car to a t.o.r.n. series race or the likes of that, that's not the type of racing I built it for. Also it was mentioned earlier that someone had a single seat car on here that raced in our series, they were correct and in fact he did win one of the series races last year at Durhamtown Plantation in Union Point Ga. His forum name is Killowatt!
    Last edited by choptop0130; 01-25-2014 at 04:12 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Mini-Raptor Body Man
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop0130 View Post
    To the BOX STORE guys they can't compete, I know they can, our courses vary from 7-14 miles long per lap in the woods, can be as slow as 10mph or as fast as you can run on endurance style. We do short course as well, and the BOX STORE bikes can get there can handed to them fairly easy as long as it's a stretched out track. In our racing UTVRR, there is a point to prove, you don't have to go to the box store to be competitive! Most of them are scared of a bike like this and complain about them, in reality they lack skill LOL!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Maybe its me, but this is real hard to read?

They can compete or they cant?

You have "over 35,000 in it", do you compete in a full modified class or against stock SXS ?

Sounds like fun, real curious how a shifter car does against a CVT in the woods.

I think we've seen some videos from this track before on here? We had a member that was racing there I think. He had the polaris single seater.
    CVT is definitely easier to drive, with less skill, but that versus grabbing gears/bike engine can't really be THE determining factor. You just can't compare 4x4 and 2wd in the woods, or any kind of potentially 'slippery' racing. 4x4 does wonders for crazy wheel spin that you could generate from a bike engine buggy. The 'box store' UTV's now (900&1000cc) have real good low-mid range torque curves as well, along with 4wd!!!...that makes it pretty tough for a car like this to win out there. I would LOVE to see a GSXR1000 with a 4wd set up going head to head with the other UTV's though...that would be a different story I think. If the gearing was right, I don't think the CVT vs Manual would be all that important for the winner. Lots of guys in LOORS (Pro 4) driving the s#*! out of the sequentials and beating the autos on any given day.

AWESOME car, btw!!!
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-26-2014 at 08:34 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Killowatt! thats it. Beni- you gotta look that dude up on here,very cool stuff, you'll like it.

Sounds good choptop, good luck and looking forward to more vids.

8. Collapse Details
    Mini-Raptor Body Man
    Dude!!! I couldn't find an actual build thread, but is this what you're referring to??
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attac...p-imag0003.jpg

That is way cool.

9. Collapse Details
    Bull, kilowatt sold that car some time ago and has a single seat turbo rzr now. The car was CBR powered, modified trophy kart if you will.

Beni, I will say on some tracks they may not compete, here in the south in endurance racing it's not a problem for it to compete. Skill level has everything to do with it as well. We have run rain races in Union Point ga. in stk class 2-wheel drive cars, a joyner on top of that, and was more than able to compete with the 4-wheel drive cars. In the 2012 season in ten races we podiumed 8 times, only 2 we didn't one was a wreck in the first race and last race trans went out on tow vehicle on way to race.
    The new build is 4-wheel drive bike powered,single seat, and will way in at 1000 lb mark. Have a long way to go, I'm sure it will take this year to do it with testing machine, work, and full time jobs. This car took me 14-15 months so I'm expecting the same with this one.
    Last edited by choptop0130; 01-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Beni, that is the car, but kilowatt didn't build it, he bought it that way and continued on with it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast