Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: First buggy - Edge Sidewinder
    Now Beelzeboss is drooling!

2. Collapse Details
    Junior Member klr700sidewinderbuggy's Avatar
    Last edited by klr700sidewinderbuggy; 12-26-2008 at 05:04 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzeboss View Post
    OK, I have done a bit more since the last update. HAVE PICS!

Close up of the bars which I added to the front of the frame:

Put on the rear suspension mounts:

Cut the frame ("God I hope this works...")

Then welded it back together 20mm downwards. Othersie the HUGE Suzuki engine won't fit!

I also bought two shocks from a yamaha XT-550. Unfortunately the designer of the Edge buggies says that I will have to upgrade the springs in them to make them work properly. I will see how it goes.

Andrew
    Just a suggestion but I would consider grinding the weld down on the sides where you made that drop in the tube and fish plate it with some 1/8" plate or strap overlapping that joint . That will make your joint much stronger than a butt weld connection.

Mike

4. Collapse Details
    TutTech and Mike, that is very good advice from both of you.
    Keep in mind that my welding has become a lot better since doing those frame welds, I might even grind off and re-do a couple of them.
    KLR700 that is one hell of a Sidewinder. If you have any pictures of the build progress I would love to see them in your own build thread.

Well, I have a small update. I have done 2.5 of the 4 engine mounts. I need to get some bolts to do the front and rear mounts because they need to be removable so that I can get the engine in and out.

All mounts have these machined washers (made on the lathe) so that if it needs to be moved slightly I can machine a slightly thicker/thinner washer to move the engine.

Here is a picture of the frame as it is now

And Rocky likes to think he has helped a bit

5. Collapse Details
    not trying to take yours over, just showing a few things you could see to replicate or what not. I removed the pics and what not. good luck on the build.
    Last edited by klr700sidewinderbuggy; 12-26-2008 at 05:06 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    KLR700 I'm sorry if I came across as "GET OUT OF MY THREAD!", I wasn't meant to. You can leave the pics there if you want, I actually have a copy of that last pic of your beefed up swingarm on my computer for reference Yours really is a sensational looking buggy and it would be great if you could post many pics of it in the finished rides section. It looks like great fun.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzeboss View Post
    KLR700 I'm sorry if I came across as "GET OUT OF MY THREAD!", I wasn't meant to. You can leave the pics there if you want, I actually have a copy of that last pic of your beefed up swingarm on my computer for reference Yours really is a sensational looking buggy and it would be great if you could post many pics of it in the finished rides section. It looks like great fun.
    Will do
    Edge sidewinder with KLR700 motor
    Honda crf450r

8. Collapse Details
    OK, here's an update.
    Finished modifying the steering rack. Instead of tacking a bush on one end, I decided to machine a press fit bushing on the lathe to press into the rack. I might have to bore it out a bit more, but at the moment it works perfectly.

Rear bearing plates arrived from Edge, so now the rear swingarm is 100% complete except paint

520 50 tooth sprocket from a motorcycle shop in Brookvale was $40 new. The guy went through all the 520 50 tooth sprockets to find me the cheapest, AND then he gave me a discount! I think it looks pretty good. The place was called APW motorcycles.

Picked up a seat on ebay. A friend and I bought the pair for $140, and I got the more faded one because I need the reclining lever on the left. It won't fit on the right because of the engine.

Mounted the oil cooler at the back of the buggy. If I was to do it again I would save some money by using rigid steel pipes, rather than the expensive oil cooler pipes.

Removed the rear brake assembly from the bike

Made the suspension pivot pins. The rear one is a bit longer than stock because I made the pivot wider.
    Instead of threading the end of the pins I decided to use cotter/split pins through the end of the bars. I also bored out the nuts to weld them on the pins, rather than threading them on. I have since found out that I have to thread the bars. Not a problem, because I can thread over the cotter pin holes.

Seat rails without the holes drilled in them

Both the wing supports done. It was easier to cut the correct angles than I expected

Also, I fitted the front suspension mounts. I had to tack and grind off the top suspension mount like 10 times to get it in the right spot and square to everything. Magnets helped hold it in place but made the arc (during welding) go a little bit strange

I hope to have the buggy done by the 1st of feb. It will be close, but I think I can make it, especially if my friend comes over to help.

Andrew

9. Collapse Details
    looks good. I would suggest flipping the oil cooler over so the hoses run out the bottom though. It will help when draining the oil and would look a little cleaner also. just my .02

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks boostinjdm.
    I put it that way up so that the oil doesn't drain out of it when the engine shuts off, if it gets a leak in it or the check valves in the engine fail.
    Also, when it is this way up the oil pipes can be completely hidden under the roll bar padding. If it was the other way up I would need much longer pipes to do that because it would need to go all the way to the rear of the frame and then back to the motor. Those pipes aren't cheap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast