Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GSX 600F SII Build
    I've been looking on this site for about a year, and I bought a set of Shredder II plans before the ubuildit site went down. I wanted something that my kids and I could build together and ride together, similar to some other posts I have seen. I decided to post on here, as I have found tons of great information on the site, and from what I can see people willing to share, as I may need help later on down the road.

I've taken some of my modifications to the plans from others on here in the shredder group, so thanks.

A far as my build, here goes.............

I was able to find a used 96 Suzuki Katana GSX600F that had an engine with broken valve and a seized piston. Basically, I gutted that engine to use to mock up purposes. I have a complete engine, that the seller sold me as part of the deal, for when I get ready to finally install. The seller stated it ran when he bought the engine, but never put it on the bike. I'm going on his word. So, for now, I have 2 engines, one is a shell now and the other supposedly runs. That will be later down the road though.

Ive started on the frame, sides, and front end.

Here is the stripped down engine

The complete engine

What Ive got together after about 3 weeks of work

No tube bender so i had to cut and fit the angles, probably not as structurally sound as the bend, but im going to add in some bracing and gussets to stiffen the cage up.

So this is my progress so far. Ill keep posting and updating as I get further along.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: GSX 600F SII Build
    Welcome MM.

Rhode Island, don't hear that too much on here. Do you have a spot to ride?

It looks like your using a Hobart mig welder? Whch one do you have? It also looks like your using flux core wire? If you get a chance you'd be very happy if you could set your mig up with a small gas bottle and solid wire. Its very easy and your welds (and cleaning up) will be much nicer.

Your off to a good start.

Ive never built this buggy and don't know much about them, but Ive followed the other builds on here. One thing I don't understand after seeing it again is why the lower/floor tubes are two piece? Is there a reason?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome to minibuggy. Great first post! I have a work/travel buddy that lives in Warwick.

4. Collapse Details
    Not sure about the 2 piece floor, thats just how the plans show it to be built. Would make a more comfortable ride if it were all one plane. You would get an additional 1-1/2" lower knees would be a little happier.

5. Collapse Details
    I know that I adapted the front end to mine with very little issue so I don't see why it needs to be like that...we may never know!

6. Collapse Details
    As far as the ride, yes some places to ride, mostly woods trails some dirt roads.

Ive got the Hobart Handler 140.

You are correct I started off with flux core, however I soon switched to gas. I found my welds were much better with less to grind off. I had to grind off the majority for the flux core welds and go back over the frame welds. My neighbor is a welder by trade, and after he saw me with the flux core, he helped me get the gas set up. I have him check my welds, as im a novice to welding.

As far as the lower floor question, im not sure why the plans set it up that way. I started off following the frame plans, but it looks like others have modified it.

7. Collapse Details
    Sounds good.

What are your front arms off of?

They pretty long.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    2015 Yamaha YFZ 450 A arms

9. Collapse Details
    Are you going to go with S10 axles?

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, I wanted to use the S10 CV axles and the hubs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast